Metro 14 / Glut - Ratio & Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Order this stuff (1 Gallon) and got it, then it now has been sitting in the corner and I keep forgetting about it. Have never used this stuff in this form.

~~~~~~~~~~
First off - I threw out the activator!!!
~~~~~~~~~~

Now what is the ratio to mix this and how much would you use? Keep hearing differing amounts and would like to see what the consensus is.

On the 72G 4' tank, I have a 48"-60" Current USA Satellite LED+ (with the RGB). This is the tank I am getting algae in. Green Spot mostly. I am upping the pwc and reducing the TDS and organic disolved solids.

What kind of bottle do you like best for dosing?

My reading said it was 2x the strength of Excell,so I used to just dose 1/2 or double my dose and match the volume I was using of excel. Some dilute it ,but I would only do that with what is added at the time of use.

I've been dosing it straight for years. About 1ml/2gal. I use a gla squeeze bottle for dosing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When using it, does it kill any of the algae already in the tank or just keep it from growing more?

Do you up the dosage to get rid of existing algae? Right now I have green spot algae in the 72G really started get a hold the last few months with more feeding and more fish.

Also are there any fish which can be sensitive to its use?

Sensitive plants? I understand Subwassertang, Riccia, other liverwort types, and a moss, was it Fissendens?

Side note- Last night did 2 ~50% back to back pwc to get the solids down and freshen things up in there. Friday should be doing a canister filter clean out. Adding more Matrix in the FX-5 (love this filter btw).

Looking at adding a AC110 to the tank as well. To up the water quality to excellent to make room for some... Rams!!! (From somebody around here with beautiful fish ;) )

When using it, does it kill any of the algae already in the tank or just keep it from growing more?

Do you up the dosage to get rid of existing algae? Right now I have green spot algae in the 72G really started get a hold the last few months with more feeding and more fish.

Also are there any fish which can be sensitive to its use?

Sensitive plants? I understand Subwassertang, Riccia, other liverwort types, and a moss, was it Fissendens?

Side note- Last night did 2 ~50% back to back pwc to get the solids down and freshen things up in there. Friday should be doing a canister filter clean out. Adding more Matrix in the FX-5 (love this filter btw).

Looking at adding a AC110 to the tank as well. To up the water quality to excellent to make room for some... Rams!!! (From somebody around here with beautiful fish ;) )

You're so thorough;) ok.. this is a long post for me but I'll hit the points haha.
Ime it will take down algae, when I slack and bba gets going again I'll hit it with h202 2 days in a row and dose the glut daily, knocks it down every time. Boosts growth too. Green spot can be tamed with increased phosphorus. Don't have any overly sensitive fish in the tanks I dose. Apistogramma, Cory's, small tetras and Bolivian rams,.doesn't kill the Amano shrimp.. it will kill certain mosses and vals. I accidentally dosed my 30l one day and wiped out a bunch of jungle val. More filtration and proper flow is never a bad thing imo. The rams should enjoy all that lush space to roam. Where's the temp at?

I add 6ml to my 20 gal every other day. Works really well keeping algae at bay, in conjunction with h2o2.

Temp looks to be 79F at the end of the tank w/o heaters - furthest point where it was caught in the corner behind the floating Wisteria Jungle, and 80F on the heated end, opened the access and plunked it in to check.

Just using a bobber thermometer, and a quick check. Could be it was a smidge lower due to the time it took to wrestle it out of the far corner and over the Wisteria and to read.

2 heaters cuddled next to each other near the outflow of the FX-5.

Rams like it a touch warmer, turning it up to 81-82 shouldn't hurt??

Yes, will be planning on that. Had been thinking of it, but just a couple days back decided for the Rams to be in the 72G and moving a bunch of fish to the 46G. To make room and need it all cleaned up, to be Ram ready.

Back
Top Bottom