Micro Nutrients Dosage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VelcroDuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, thanks to everyone who helped me through ich. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/nkotb-the-right-stuff-127514.html
All signs have been gone for 2 weeks. At the end of this week (just to be safe) I'll start bringing down the temp and salt levels slowly.

Still dealing with snails, though significantly fewer since I did this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-pond-snail-trap-126550.html

Also still dealing with thread algae, though also significantly lower since I started dosing KNO3, using EI schedule.

It was suggested I also dose some micro (trace) nutrients in the form of Plantex CSM+B. I've had a hard time tracking it down, especially since I'd prefer to buy locally. Luckily, a friend was trying to get rid of a bottle of micro for hydropnics, called Earth Juice Microblast. (FYI: It suggests 2 tsp every two weeks for that purpose.)
Here's the label's complete list:
Mg 0.50%
B 0.02%
Co 0.0005%
Fe 0.10%
Mn 0.05%
Mo 0.0005%
Zn 0.05%

kelp meal, magnesium sulfate, borax, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, sodium molybdate, zinc sulfate

Mg, Fe, and Zn all water soluble.

Here's my questions:
I've heard IRON is the measuring stick. So going on that, I'd want to dose 30280 mL (8 gal) with 3.028 mL of this solution to get to 0.1 ppm? Am I right? Or I have I made some tragically wrong assumptions or calculations?

Should I spread the dose out over the week, like I'm doing with KNO3? Or just add the week's worth after my weekly 50% PWC? (remember I'm doing EI)

Thanks in advance for any input...

Your calculation is right. ~3 ml will give you 0.1 ppm.

People usu. suggest giving the traces separate from the macro. There may be some binding of the traces if you mix them together. So a typical regime is to give macro one day, traces the next.

You get a more even level if you spread your doses out over the week. Although in theory, EI contains an over abundance of ferts. Unless your plants are taking all the ferts in one week, you should build up a minimum level of nutrients doing EI. This minimum level is supposed to be enough for your plants, so in theory dosing once a week should be just as good. Most schedules still dose twice or 3x a week, tho ...

Thanks J
As always, you're a big help. Just had to be sure before I started dumping it in there.
I get what you mean about the traces binding. I'll dose separately on opposite days to get that "even level."
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom