miracle grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystical473a

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
has anyone ever used any miracle grow in their planted fish tanks?

Also has anyone used any regualr fert tabs that are for terestrial plants for aquatic plants?

I wouldn't recommend it. Terrestrial ferts are balanced for terrestrial plants. They are designed to soak into the soil and stay in the general area for a while.

Aquatic ferts are diluted in XX gallons of water so you can imaging that the concentrations are completely different.

Plus, plant food/tabs for terrestrial plants usually has relatively high concentrations of nitrogen compounds. For example, liquid Miracle-Gro is nearly 10% urea nitrogen. It won't take much to get you up to toxic levels in your aquarium.

really? i had some people told me to put jobes plant sticks under the substrate and as long as it never surfaces, i would be ok.

dang, i was really hoping i could use miracle grow in the mean time while i wait for my dry ferts to come in.

Miracle grow has more then just NPK in it. it also has micro nutrients which is probably the course of the algae... jobes i think has little or none or is released slow enough being under the substrate to be absorbed better by the plants. There are other brands that may not have micros but I doubt it's worth buying compared to products made for aquarium use..

I remember reading in the planted forum of one, and only one variety of Jobes plant sticks that was okay for aquariums. But even then, it is not optimal. So of course I don't recall what it was. lol

Most non-aquatic plant foods contain ammonia. Plants need ammonia to survive and that is why it is one of the main foods. Even aquatic plants feed off of ammonia, but putting ammonia directly into the water column will non only hurt the fish, it will allow algae spores to QUICKLY form and spread.

Aquatic plants not only get NH3 (ammonia) directly from the water column by consuming fish waste and plant tissure breakdown, they convert NO3(nitrates) to ammonia and then consume it.

I remember reading in the planted forum of one, and only one variety of Jobes plant sticks that was okay for aquariums. But even then, it is not optimal. So of course I don't recall what it was. lol

The KRIB suggests that Jobes for ferns is safe to use (lowest in in PO4).

Miracle grow has the wrong proportion of ferts so if you calculate the right concentration for one, it is wrong for the other ... plus you have to worry about the NH3 content so can't add too much at once. (And I am not sure what dyes or other things it has that is bad for fish.)

If you have to wait a LONG time for the ferts, you can try ferts for ponds from your garden center (if they are OK for pond fish, should be fine for tank?)

Yeah I get mines from rex and it takes about a week just to get shipped. Then another few days waiting for the post office.

I have some high demanding plants that need their ferts so its getting pretty tight.

Back
Top Bottom