Miracle grow substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanLikesFishAndBeer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have decided to go with dirt for my substrate, so before I go buy it, I would like to know what do when I get the soil.. And also how long it will take before adding plants. If anyone could tell me other helpful things to pick up, that would be great too.

I have a dirted tank, didn't use Organic Miracle Grow, I use Just Natural Organic potting soil. But the principle is the same. You need the soil, I used about an 1-1/2 and then you need another substrate to cap it with. I used Eco-complete, but you can use sand, fine gravel, Eco, or a number of other one's available. You will need to add your soil, some people who use Miracle Grow pick out the big pieces but I used the soil as is, its your choice. Next slowly add water over soil until you just have enough water to cover it. Your soil needs to sit and absorb water, Miracle Grow takes alittle longer to water log than the brand I used, as it water logs you need to keep compressing the soil. You want to smash it down and get all the air out. I don't know how long this will take with Miracle Grow as it is a lighter soil mix (the one I use is very heavy and only took a very short time to do the step above. Once your soil is for sure compacted and completely wter logged, the next step will be to add your cap layer. I used about an 1-1/2 inches of Eco to cap. This thick of a layer allowed me to plant mostly in the cap layer without having to get into the soil and make a mess in the water column. Plus it keeps my loaches from every rooting down to the soil layer, which would make a mess. After you have your soil capped you need to find a plate, bowl, something to put on your cap layer so you can fill you tank water "slowly". Pour your water on the plate so it gently fills the tank without disturbing your cap layer. This is very important so do it slowly and don't mess all your work up. Then comes the fun part... you will need to empty and fill the tank several times (I emptied and filled mine for 7 days, once a day, because my organic soil leeched tannins quite heavily). You want your final water to be clean without any floaters or general mess from dirting the tank. I also ran my filter duing this phase. No lights. Once your water looks good then you can plant. Preferable have all your plants ready to go and try to plants with as many plants as you can affort, in this instance more is better. Once planted, be sure to run your lights and filter. Then watch your water readings. I would suggest getting an API mater test kit so you can monitor you amnonia, nitrite, and nitrate. My cycling went very fast. Just so you know you will get diatoms really fast so don't freak out. It happens in new tanks and will go away once the silicates in the water are used up. I had a Bristlenose Pleco already and was able to add him 2 or 3 days after I planted because my cycle was done. He took care of the diatom issue. Even though you have a nutrient rich substrate you will need to look into some fertilizers for your water. Don't worry about any root tabs, you won't need any for some time. I dose with dry fertilizer, PPS-Pro method, that I get from Green Leaf Aquariums. But to start a good liquid fertilizer system like Seachem Flourish might be the way to ease into ferts. Also a good liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel will help with plant growth. Excel can melt Val"s if you get any (although I have Corkscrew Val and have never had any melt issues). That's about it... how this helps and good luck.

Thank you for all the information, but I forgot that my parents had a compost in the back yard so I went back there and got soil. I now have that in the tank, I have a sort of thick black gravel do you think that will be good to cap with?

Okay one thing, I've never know anyone to use compost, not saying you can't but after your up, running, planted, and tank cycled only add one or two not expensive fish to be sure nothing bad has leeched from the soil. It should be fine but I like to err on the side of caution. Actually even though I had used the brand of soil in my potted pond plants for many years I was still slow and cautious to add fish. But that is just how I am, slow and cautious. I'd do the empty and fill for a few days as I bet you will probably getting tannins leeching. Oh, if you do and can get some Purgen for your filter it works wonders at pulling the tannins out and can last for months. I left mine in the filter on my dirted 220g for months until the Purgen turned almost black, indicating it was full. Carbon will work also but it won't last near as long and you will have to replace it more often until the tannins so down. Alittle tannin in your water is good, tannins actually have anti-bacterial and anit-fungal properties which is good for your fish. My water doesn't look yellow but when I do WC's you can see the water is slightly yellow. For plants a smaller gravel is better. Don't know how large your gravel pebbles are but plants can root and spread better in the smaller stuff. Plus some typical aquarium gravel is painted and some can leech things into the water as the coating wears off. Your choice but if your going to all this work to have a nice tank do it right. I've heard many people on this forum talk about using play sand and pool sand which both are very cheap (way more than you'll need) but it's an option. Hopefully someone who has actually used it can add some information here.

Looks fine, just be sure to give yourself about an 1-1/2 of capping. Plus now you see why you have to do water changes even without leeching :)

I didn't do anything to fancy with the lighting I have a tall 20 gallon so I go a 60 watt light? Do you think this will be enough?

I honestly have no idea I went to Walmart in search of a light that was short enough to fit over the tank so I built a hood and mounted the light to it. It's 60 watts and pretty bright.

Can you take a picture of the bulb by flipping the hood over? Just from the wattage it sounds like incandesent (those are like the light bulbs you screw into lamps around your house). If so I don't know alot about their light and you might want to start a new post to ask about what type bulb for plants you can put in it. I know there are lights you can use.

For plants, right now you can be totally safe with Anubias (there are different sizes and don't need high light) and you can tie them onto driftwood for a nice effect, same with Java Fern (both regular and lace "Windelov" varities), water sprite which is a good starter plant that will help mop up excess nutrients you will get at first in a planted tank. Any of the Crypts (they come in sizes from tiny-Parva to large and don't need high light, Swords which love soil but can get really big and really big roots so where you put one you will not want to move it or you will get a mess big time. Some of the rotala's will work, and any moss, which also works good to tie on driftwood. Those are some real easy and good starter plants.

image-2483942439.jpg

That is the light, that is also my tank in the background, does that color look bad for the first time that dirt has seen water?

Okay it is a standard fluorescent T8 light. You can use it now but as soon as your able go to Walmart, Lowes, somewhere and look into getting sometype of "plant" or "grow light" bulb that fits your fixture. If a bulb reads 6700K that is also a good plant bulb. Your water looks great compared to what mine was. Mine was so dark you couldn't even see the back of the tank! I only did the WC's once a day so that duing the next 24 hours between WC's the soil could leech. No use doing WC after WC if not giving the soil time to leech tannins out. So far so good! Another thing, when your finally ready to plant, remove about 50% of your water, plant, then finish filling it up. Don't forget to get your filter running with either carbon or Purgen. Keep your lights off until after plants are in.

Back
Top Bottom