moss ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone i was getting cat food at petco and was looking at their fish and plants they had these moss balls what is it and are they ok in tanks? whoops sorry i forgot to search thanks

i have 2 in my tank...
i heard that they are actually algae...my shrimp and my pleco nibble at them once in a while

Marimo balls is another common name for them. They are actually algae so they wont root to the substrate. My shrimp nibble at them too. Work fairly well as filters. I give them a good squeeze into my waste bucket during water changes.

I bought one of these moss balls from petco. If it is the one advertised on their website it is just java moss wrapped around styrofoam and the wrapped around a rock. I ended up taking mine apart and tying it to a rock. Look for a true Marimo moss ball they are way cool IMHO.

uglydog as a good point they are not all the same. there are some moss balls that is java moss others are algae known as marimo balls. they look way different.

i have both javamoss and mossballs...
i think mossballs look much cooler...but they seem to be growing really slow...

I have one too. They are kind of neat. They don't spread like other algae, and they look nice if maintained. Mine isn't.

Back
Top Bottom