Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Moving/upgrading a 55 gallon planted tank

I will be moving about 35 miles away soon and taking my 55 gallon planted tank with me. I have no idea how to do it. Actually, I hope to be upgrading to a deeper tank, like a 75 or 80 gallon tank, during the move. I have to stick with a 4 foot long tank because of my expensive 4' long plant light. lol I don't want to upgrade that, too. Also, I'd like to avoid having to upgrade my filters, heater, and CO2 unit as well. I'm sure my filters and heater are plenty for up to an 80 gallon tank, is a pressurized CO2 5lb tank enough? I'm very, very new at this planted thing.

So, I need to know if my CO2 setup is enough, and how to properly move all my fish and plants 35 miles. I'm assuming fish will go into buckets. Do the plants do the same? Or am I just way off base? I also have a 20 long planted to move. Does it move the same way?

7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

5lb is fine. i had one on my 120. just the bigger the tank the more co2 added the quicker you have to refill it. i would get buckets or rubber maid containers put the fish in them. keep the gravel and media wet. empty the tank move it fill it back up get the heaters filters running. when the temp is stable move the fish back in. plants you can just toss in a plastic bag. even a grocery bag would do just close it and put it in another bag. plants just need to be kept damp. move everything the same way.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, moving, plant, planted, planted tank, tan, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com