My 10 gal. lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
If i have 2 - 10 watt CF light bulbs over a 10 gal. whats the overall lighting? So if you have to divide the total watts by the gallons, wouldnt that come up with 2 watts per gallon?

2 bulbs x 10 watts per bulb = 20 watts. 20 Watts x 1.35= 27 watts. 27 watts/10 gal = 2.7 wpg

CF is 35% more effective than NO so you multiply by 1.35. I learned this one after purchasing my new CF strip. Then came the CO2 unit and ferts.

Actually because the WPG "rule" breaks down over small tanks and you'd have some light loss to restrike, your tank would probably closer to Low or Medium Low light, which would benefit from CO2 but not require it.

Thank you for the explanation Joy. :D Is it possible that the BBA that he is experiencing could be caused by the lack of CO2?

BBA is usually caused by low fluctuating levels of CO2 common with DIY CO2. Since CO2 isn't being injected, the levels are low but steady. This makes it unlikely to have caused the BBA.

It's more likely that one of the macro nutrients has bottomed out. If I remember right with BBA, then Nitrates would be the most likely suspect. Poor circulation could also be a cause if nutrients aren't getting evenly distributed.

Purrbox said:
BBA is usually caused by low fluctuating levels of CO2 common with DIY CO2. Since CO2 isn't being injected, the levels are low but steady. This makes it unlikely to have caused the BBA.

It's more likely that one of the macro nutrients has bottomed out. If I remember right with BBA, then Nitrates would be the most likely suspect. Poor circulation could also be a cause if nutrients aren't getting evenly distributed.
thanks, i've been testing the water for nitrate and i come up with 5-10 ppm, do you think i should dose anyway?

Unless you're either using a testkit that has been calibrated or a high quality lab grade test kit like Lamotte, then your results aren't necessarily accurate at that level. I would dose upto 20ppm of Nitrate to ensure that you actually have as much Nitrate as you think you do. It would also be good to make sure that you have sufficient Phosphate levels. When Phosphates bottom out, they prevent the Nitrates from being used so many of the symptoms are the same.

Back
Top Bottom