my lighting setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just did this, i am having some higher light plants sent to me and i want to have a CO2 system someday so i thought i'd better get my lighting better on my 5gal. Sure it doesnt look very good, but it didnt cost me anything!, lol

In the reptile light there is a 25w bulb which i will upgrade to a 40w soon. The other is a removable CF light from my old hood. It is only 9w.

Here is the whole setup:
img_711870_0_638722ec5795a50f68a75d5b401d7033.jpg

here is the reptile light:
img_711870_1_71fb31fc79b576278d0fbd86cf28384a.jpg

here is the other light which i set on some old glass over the aquarium:
img_711870_2_d9db96e5d406330a0ce9d86ab082c9dc.jpg

Good idea, bad idea, what do you think?

lol seems like a good idea. i think that the 9 watt cf and the 25 watt screw in cf would be enough for a 5 gal though. that should put u at medium high.

awsome, my mom says its a " fire hazard" but i know its not! I think the other way was a fire hazard! With ther hood the condensation from the tank could get into the bulb, this way, none can. I'll try to explain it to her.

To be perfectly honest, I have to agree with your Mom. Looking at those pics I just have visions of you working on the tank and bumping something at the wrong moment and that light on the glass ending up in the tank. Of course I'm also a pretty good klutz and can manage some pretty interesting juggling acts when I least mean or expect to. It does seem like you've found a way to get a nice amount of light over the tank, but I'd like to see it done a bit more safely. Perhaps finding a way to mount the second light so decrease the risk of it ending up in the tank.

actually, i came up with a way, turning the galss the other way and putting cut up stands of metal under it(cloths hangers) to form a tup of grate which should kepp it more stable. Do you think it is more safe now?

I'd have to see a pic or diagram. I just can't envision what you're describing.

That makes more sense. Looks like that should help keep the glass out of the tank as long as it isn't shifted to the open part of the tank. There's still plenty of possibility for your light to end up in the water since it isn't being secured in any way. Perhaps you could build some sort of suspension devise that would rest on the edges of the aquarium and hold the light securely above the tank. Then you could remove the glass altogether if you wanted.

i like the galls because then i don't have to fill every day what has evaporated. there are no spots big enough for it to firt throught because on the other side is my HOB filter. Absolutely Zero possibility of it going in now. wel i shouldent say that, there is still a possibilty but it will never happen. And with my great "handy work" if i made my own thing that helt it to the side of the tank it would go in FOR SURE lol. seriously, the glass makes me feel better.

I think a screw-in CF pointing down loses a lot of the light. Aluminum foil is more a diffusor than a reflector. No reflector on the 9w CF means you're losing at least the top half of the bulb. Just points to consider -- your using brute force to gain wattage is good, but you're losing a lot of efficeincy.

Other ideas are a DIY hood with 13w or 18w CFs (more than one if wanted) parallel to the tank's top. You can get worklights with CF from HomeDepot for like $10. How about CF desklamps?

mosses_061003_back.jpg

It barely reflects and many aquarists have found flat white works much better. Here's a post comparing measureables from Ivo Busko on APD -- same guy responsible for A Comparison Between Light Sources Used in Planted Aquaria linked in the lighting sticky.
Ivo Busko said:
The aluminum foil reflector, on the other hand, is barely
worth the trouble. Aluminum foil would possibly make a good reflector only if
it can be laid out smoothly as a polished mirror. The wrinkles on the foil
turn it out effectively into a diffusive reflector, and a bad one...
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200008/msg00069.html

Check out that post. White paper measured better for Busko at all distances. You could use a lamp with better reflective properties, find a way to put the bulb socket parallel to the tank top and paint the interior white, or something creative. You'll still lose light due to restrike but should increase efficiency at least a little. The 9w CF would also benefit from a reflector, of course.

Right now you have a lot of watts, but I doubt most of it is entering the tank. Keep brainstorming and you'll increase usable light.

Another thing is hobby stores usually carry reflective paper. The stuff is thick and flat. They are only a couple bucks for a sheet and can be cut and glued in place. That way it's flat surfaces, and no wrinkles to deflect the light elsewhere. I did it with a previous hood and it was better than the stock white reflector that was in the hood.

i might even look at a hardware store for some this sheet metal. That might work. If now i will check out mt hobby store. I actually removed this lighting setup because of my family bothering me about it so i might do a DIY hood this weekend. That might be better. An suggestions on household materials i could use. I only have 6 bucks to spend.

All you need if a GFI plug or a power strip. If the light hits the water it will trip the internal breaker. Which in turn will prevent possible fire hazard...

Back
Top Bottom