N and P level preferences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarrod0987

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So for a while now I have been shooting for 5 ppm Nitrate and 0.5 ppm Phosphate which is low levels and a proper N to P ratio of 10 to 1.

If I turned the light up more I get GSA. In the past I added up to 2 ppm phosphate to try to eliminate the GSA but all I got was GHA instead so I backed the P back down and left the light low.

I think I may like to play with higher N and P levels with the light low. Someone told me they had to get P above 2.5 ppm before GSA went away.

I also remember someone mentioning they like to keep there P at 3 ppm in there planted tank. I am quite sure there N is not at 30 ppm. What are the numbers you guys like in a non CO2 injected Tank and in a CO2 injected tank?

I plan to try CO2 before the year is out but got to fit it into the budget.

Also...I can't get to a CO2 refill place without a lot of drama. I live in the boonies. Anyone know about those disposable CO2 planted tank cylinders? I saw them on Youtube but I can't remember where. Also I think Some people use the Soda Stream Stuff on small tanks like my 20 Gal?

What size is your tank? I'm in a similar place as you regarding easy access to CO2 refills. The disposables (such as the Fluval set up) are tempting, but I've heard replacing the cartridges are expensive. Have you considered a DIY/soda bottle set up?

What size is your tank? I'm in a similar place as you regarding easy access to CO2 refills. The disposables (such as the Fluval set up) are tempting, but I've heard replacing the cartridges are expensive. Have you considered a DIY/soda bottle set up?

It's a 20 gal long . I did consider the DIY but after much reading decided it is to unstable and only puts out CO2 for a day or 2 according to some. I want to try the canister way.

If cost wasn't an issue(?), I'd get two CO2 bottles large enough to run for several months. When one ran out, I'd swap over to the second and just fill the first at some stage.

It's a 20 gal long . I did consider the DIY but after much reading decided it is to unstable and only puts out CO2 for a day or 2 according to some. I want to try the canister way.

Ah, we're in the same situation, then. (I have a 20-long, too, that's cycling) The initial setup can be expensive, but the 20-24 oz. paintball canister is probably ideal for this size tank, but you mention having trouble getting them refilled. Something like the Fluval disposable cartridges may be your best bet. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom