NanoJack's Photo Journal 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reducing co2 to 1bps, I am now noticing minute bubbles floating throughout the tank. So it may depend on the type of diffuser. My glass diffuser does not diffuse tiny bubbles if more than 3-6 bps. Above 3 and the corner of my tank just fizzes out co2.

I think that article you referenced to is almost accurate. It doesn't account for unique shallow tanks like the 45F/60F. There isn't much contact or travel through the water before the co2 hits the surface and escapes. So I believe a slightly higher BPS rate should be observed to compensate for that. I could be wrong. That's how I look at it, however. I'd stay around 3 BPS at least or more (for now).

Did you use 4dkh reference solution in the drop checker?

As for shrimp, I'd go with an easier more hardier species such as the red cherry shrimp, neocardina (or "neos"). But get the painted fire red grade. There's also pumpkin, yellow, and red rili to consider. Just don't mix these species because neos can breed between color variations and produce ugly offspring.

Planing on 7 CPDs, 1 oto, and some shrimp. Still haven't decided on what species of shrimp. I'm liking the fire red cherry shrimp or crystal but hesitant in shelling out $7-$10 per. Don't want an expensive mistake. Suggestions?

I always think a school of tetras look really nice. I also think the rummy nose tetra is a very good looking fish. Its completely down to your taste though. You might not like those fish

Yes, I use 4dkh.

I like the real red neos. Hope they breed so my future CPDs can have the occasional seafood buffet!

Oh forgot to mention that the higher the bps, it seems like the higher the dispersion force and therefore creating larger bubbles. At 1 bps, my bubbles are floating everywhere and not mostly dispersing on the surface.

I always think a school of tetras look really nice. I also think the rummy nose tetra is a very good looking fish. Its completely down to your taste though. You might not like those fish

Rummies would look way too big in this tank. And in such confined quarters, I'd be nervous about keeping them with shrimp.

@Jack, I forgot, is this a 45f or 60f?

Oh forgot to mention that the higher the bps, it seems like the higher the dispersion force and therefore creating larger bubbles. At 1 bps, my bubbles are floating everywhere and not mostly dispersing on the surface.

Put your diffuser as close to the outflow as possible. Even with larger bubbles, as long as they are making contact with the the water for as long as possible, you should see good results.

Rummies would look way too big in this tank. And in such confined quarters, I'd be nervous about keeping them with shrimp.

@Jack, I forgot, is this a 45f or 60f?

Sorry i didnt know what size tank it was. Im not familiar with the ADA tanks at all. I just like the rummynose so i try to promote it

Update:
I have noticed since submerging, the dwarf pennyworts leaves are turning gray to translucent. The HM leaves are also turning gray at the tips and are slowly sprouting new growth between the graying leaves. The Staurogyne Repens have lost all their old leaves leaving only the small leaves. The HC is also graying in sporadic areas. I couldn't google anything about the gray discoloration. Most searches came up with browning of the HC leaves aka "melting". But my HC pearls at night. Downoi is iffy. My drop checker is showing a solid yellow and dosing 1 bps co2 24/7. I have not started any ferts so i could control the variables or rather trouble shoot if something were to occur. I have some algae which is expected but not the notorious kind as of yet. My ammonia is at 4ppm, nitrite spike at 5ppm, and nitrates at 0. Ph is at 6.4. Lights are on 8 hours. Temp is at 74. I did a pwc day after flooding and decided not to do anymore since I'm doing a fish less cycle. If I see any signs of crazy algae, I will do a large WC. I don't plan on dosing ferts till another 3 weeks unless advised otherwise. All is good and enjoying every day! Just hope HC is transitioning and not dying! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sorry i dont know enough to help. Id be curious to see a picture unless not much has changed from last photo

I never had chili rasboras before. My CPDs were super shy. The most shy fish I ever had. They're better off in lightly planted tanks if you want to see them more often. However, the chili's at the LFS seem to not be as shy during the short time I've seen them.

Ok....I come home and see hair algae. Not everywhere but gonna do pwc to prevent widespread panic!

Brian thanks for your response. These CPDs will only be seeing me for 4 hours a day. I won't blame them for being shy. Perhaps, I need to get a pair of binoculars.

Back
Top Bottom