NanoJack's Photo Journal 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanoJack

Aquarium Advice Freak
Blue Print.

Was intending to create a towering Seiryu rock collection. A scene that portrays a tranquil & simplistic design. (Rocks and HC) However, the rocks I received weren't to my liking. These rocks are going to get buried. So much for the minimalistic approach.

Tank arrives tomorrow!

Attachments

• drawingpad6039f598-a6b0-410d-8573-27f08427a1e7.jpg
    drawingpad6039f598-a6b0-410d-8573-27f08427a1e7.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 256
What's up NanoJack. Sounds like it's going to be a cool tank build. What are your details so far in terms of tank, filter, lighting, substrate, etc.?

Following along the build :)

Try the natural look of KOKE stone from ADA. I use 3 as my centerpiece.

Wish I could. Had to relocate tank because my wife started having interest in my project. The tank was first positioned about eye level above my high dresser - I'm 6'1 and my wife 5'1. She couldn't justify my spending disposable income on something she can't see and enjoy. So now the tank will be placed below my wall mounted flat screen on dresser #2. lol. Not exactly the ideal location for suspending lights but brackets will suffice. Would have gotten the 65F if I had known prior ordering. Oh well. If wifey not happy, tank won't be happy.

A night of hard scaping and I come to realize what Socrates had come to know is that there is one thing I know and that is I know nothing.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392902699.046418.jpg

Hard scape complete. Not exactly the blueprint.

Tonight: Dry start HC if it comes.

Friday: All foreground plants and equipment should arrive.

Plants have arrived:

Staurogyne Repens
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
2 HC's. Potted came pristine

Pearl weed looks kinda dull green.
Lack of light? Advice?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392916330.448952.jpg

Nice job on the hardscape and selection of plants. Man, you must have done your homework because so far you've been on point like a seasoned aquascaper.

Forgot to ask, but what are you doing for co2? That's key to the green thumb.. well that aqua soil helps too :)

Aquatek Mini Regulator w/ 20oz paintball tank. Once I see good carpeting, I will inundate and supplement mass quantities of co2 with good water flow. I think the first few weeks with 8-12 bubbles per sec so plants can slowly adjust to the gradual 1-3 bubbles per sec.

Cool.. I use the same regulator. We tried DSM with HC and S. Repens in our 60F, after we flooded.. I think I only used about 3 BPS 24/7 for the first month. After that I started using the solenoid/timer. We didn't experience issues. However, the 60F is a bit taller than a 45F. Are you getting a canister filter? If so, maybe an inline diffuser might be better to get longer contact with the water. But, there was a guy on TPT with an excellent 45F. He just used a glass diffuser. So you'd be fine either way.

Edit: here's the 45F journal, if you haven't seen it. It might help with some ideas.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191724

Last edited:
Interesting read. Got me thinking the pros and cons of DSM vs submerged. How did the DSM work out for you and how long? Would you recommend over flooding? What's your take.

I got a glass diffuser and a small zoo med 501 filter. I won't be stocking fish until I get a grasp on the co2.

I just wanted to try DSM for the heck of it. After knowing both ways, I prefer flooding from the start. We only started DSM for about a month. Everything grew in substantially, especially the roots (which is a plus before flooding). After we flooded we didn't have any melt. I just wasn't too crazy about DSM because it was boring to me. Plus we started seeing a bit of stringy fungus growing. You can skim through our 60F journal to see how the progress went.

Anyways, after you flood, since you're using ADA AS Amazonia for substrate, you'll get a lot of ammonia leaching. You'll have to do many partial water changes (PWC) for about a month. Do you have any other tanks? To speed up the time to get cycled, it's best to seed your filter with established bio media. If non is available, you can add a bottle of tetra safe start. The leaching ammonia will supply the food to establish the beneficial bacteria (BB ). Make sure to get an API freshwater master test kit, if you don't already have one. You'll be able to know when you're cycled, when the AS has stopped leaching ammonia, and when it's the right time to add the fish.

Last edited:
Also does the solenoid timer work?

Yes, most definitely. Just get a heavy duty timer for it. I set my solenoid to release the CO2 about 2 hours before the lights kick on and close about 1 hour before the lights go dark.

Btw, what fish are you considering? What type of power supply does that archaea use? If it's DC, it might be cool to get a Current Single Ramp Timer.

Back
Top Bottom