Need help: My plants are doing bad af the moment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverpanos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my plants have been doing badly lately, they look worse and worse and I keep picking shed leaves from the surface every morning. I don't use CO2 but I m using Seachem Excel every other day. In the cloud link below I have a photo of all the supplements I use for the plants, of which I use most 3 times a week and the Iron twice a week. I also include a picture of my measurements. I m new to planted aquarium and at the moment I 'm trying to save the plants before they are totally ruined. The only plants doing fine are the Vallisneria that show huge growth and keep multiplying.
20200422_124659.jpg
20200422_124613.jpg
20200422_124620.jpg
20200422_124633.jpg
More photos here: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=VZSWDxkZIo75T1d0cPYQkPKrUl4D4QSALMCX

What's your lighting and how long have the plants been in the tank?

I have 2 8w LED lamps at 8000K. Most plants have been in for about 3 months, except the red tinted ones and the big Anubia that were added about a month ago.

The red plant seems even worse today, seems like it will completely die off in the next couple weeks �� So many of its leaves were floating on the surface of the aquarium today ...

The red plant leaves are mostly emersed growth, and will die back. Remove any and all decaying leaves on all the plants.

Are you fertilizing at all? Plants need access to nutrients or else they will deteriorate, and cause more issues (algae) which you are also experiencing.

Using the following:
Flourish (fertilizer) 3pw
Flourish Advance (nutrients) 3pw
Flourish Iron 2pw
Flourish Phosporus 3pw
Flourish Potassium 3pw

And since I don't have CO2 I use Excel every other day
The lights stay on 7-8 per day

Drop the lighting to 5 hours a day.
Start dosing Excel every day, that's how it needs to be dosed. Dose the "after water change" rate once per day.

Reducing light is the #1 best and most successful way to get ahead of algae. Plants can tolerate lower light while fighting algae. Once you have overcome algae, and see healthy plant growth, then you can increase the light to allow the plants to thrive.

Reduce light intensity if possible.
Reduce photoperiod to 5 hours per day max (until algae has subsided, then slowly increase back up to 8 hours per day over a few weeks).
Ensure you are providing adequate nutrients for the plants (unhealthy plants promote algae).
Dose Flourish Excel or equivalent Met14 at the “after water change” rate on the Excel bottle once per day.
Manually remove all algae you can.
Manually remove excess organics in the tank by gravel vacuuming and cleaning filter media in old tank water every water change.
Manually remove any decaying or dead plant matter.
Increase water change frequency, and the amount of water changed.
Consider spot treating badly affected areas or dipping plants / hardscape in a Flourish Excel, Met14 or H2O2 + water solution. Google search which method you think would work well, and for general ratios to mix a safe solution. Certain plants can’t tolerate these chemicals, so ensure you do a little research prior to dipping / spot treating plants.
If using CO2, ensure CO2 is dropping the pH of the tank water a full 1.0 – 1.2. To do this, measure the pH of tank water with no CO2 dissolved in it, and then measure again 2-3 hours after CO2 has been running. Ensure the drop in pH is a full 1.0-1.2. If the drop is not there yet, slowly up CO2 over a few weeks until at least a 1.0 drop is achieved, and watch fish / livestock carefully. Adjust CO2 down if you notice fish gasping at the surface and consider running an airstone at night when pushing a 1.2 or greater drop. For example, a tank water pH of 7.5 with no CO2 dissolved in it, should reach a pH of 6.5 – 6.3 for CO2 to really shine, and for maximum plant health.
Consistency in CO2 levels is key to plant health. Keep CO2 levels as stable as possible once a desirable level has been reached.

Seachem Excel is not a carbon source, it is not CO2 and it is not a CO2 replacement. Aquarium product manufactures are masters at marketing, and mislead the buyer with many products.
Excel is a mild algaecide that allows users to run slightly higher light with a reduced risk of an algae outbreak. It may or may not help break down protein films growing on plant tissue, allowing plants better access to atmospheric CO2 naturally occurring in the water.

Back
Top Bottom