New 10 gallon - can plants go in while the tank is cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new 10 gallon i was given and i am gonna set it up this weekend. Can i go ahead and put plants in there while the tank is cycling? I dont plan to add fish until after the cycle has concluded.

TIA.

Jimmy

If you add enough plants you dont have to cycle at all. Move some media from your old tank over and plant heavy. No need to cycle at all.

excellent. If i plan on using Tahitian Sand, can i put a little layer of my flourite from my old tank on the bottom, then put the sand on top? That way it doesnt disrupt the look of the all black sand?

As for Co2 and Ferts.....

I will be running 20watts of CF over the 10 gallon. i will be dosing ferts (G. Watson), will CO2 be needed? I would rather use Excel than to buy a new manifold for my CO2 tank to split the flow.

excellent. If i plan on using Tahitian Sand, can i put a little layer of my flourite from my old tank on the bottom, then put the sand on top? That way it doesnt disrupt the look of the all black sand?
Yes you can, but after time the finer grain will settle, and the coaser grain will rise

I will be running 20watts of CF over the 10 gallon. i will be dosing ferts (G. Watson), will CO2 be needed? I would rather use Excel than to buy a new manifold for my CO2 tank to split the flow.

Co2 will not be needed, Excel will work great.

TwoHobbies said:
Co2 will not be needed, Excel will work great.

Excellent.

I picked up an AquaClear filter for dirt cheap. Anyone know what i should fill the chambers with? my 55 gallon uses a HOB with the filter cartridges so i never had to decide what to put in.

If you purchased it new use what it came with except the carbon. I used the foam filters and the Biomax bag.
You could also add some filter floss if you like.

I would of went with 3m color quartz rather than the T-sand you got I bought 50lbs of 3m S grain for 20 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom