New plant quarantine/introduction routine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennandjuicetm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Somewhere, some time I read an article about quarantining new plants and using no lights the first week, 10 hours the second week, ad 12 hours the third week with a full dose of certs the second two weeks. Does anyone have any routines like this for new plants?

I just trim dying leaves and stick it in my display :) imho no lights for a week could stress an already stressed plant and cause further complications.

I've never QT'd plants either. My LFS has their plants in a separate area, so there's not much chance that there'll be anything besides snails hitching a ride.
I'm not sure what depriving new plants of light is meant to accomplish. An attempt to kill off algae, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Makes sense that going without lights would stress them. Theoretically could one set up a quarantine tank with assasin snails to keep pest snails out of their main tank?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never mind, just learned that assassins can breed pretty rapidly, too.

Never mind, just learned that assassins can breed pretty rapidly, too.

Assassins breeding is far from a quick process. They take a while to build up a population and can be sold whereas other snails cant. I'd recommend them.

Makes sense that going without lights would stress them. Theoretically could one set up a quarantine tank with assasin snails to keep pest snails out of their main tank?

Theoretically, yes. But there's no guarantees. It's pretty much accepted that planted tanks are going to have snails. You will only have a population explosion if you overfeed though so it's really not anywhere near as bad as people think.

Also, why wouldnt you just put the assassin snails in the main tank and skip the whole step of keeping plants in a quarantine tank with assassin snails to get rid of the pest snails?
You're over thinking things. Ive been there (and will likely be there again sometime). :whistle:

Mostly because I am an over thinker. Lol

Hydrogen peroxide dips have kept everything except algae out of my tank. I have zero snails in my tank. A couple minutes fully submerged in a 50/50 mix of water+3% h2o2. After that, I just plant and resume normal tank operation/lighting.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mostly because I am an over thinker. Lol

Better than the alternatives!

I like snails, they are little bonuses with plants! Unlike plecos that create more waste then they remove, and SAE's that are like a Nascar in a skating ring, snails scoot along and eat all the stuff I don't want in my tank(extra food, algae) for FREE!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom