new planted tank. recommend substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im setting up a 25galoon planted tank and want substrate suggestions. Keep in mins i need a sand top.

Do i just put eco complete underneath sand or do i need other layers?

If you want to do sand just use sand. You don't need a commercial substrate to have a planted tank. All you have to do is use root tabs for heavy root feeding plants such as swords, crypts, and other bulb plants.

Im thinking the whole shabang with co2 also. So what subs. I might not need them but i want.

Then any commercial substrate will work. I use Eco Complete in all my tanks and they now have a "fine" grade which is almost as small as sand. The thing is most all the commercial plant substrates have larger grains than sand so if you use them and then put sand on top the sand will just work it's way through the bigger grains of commercial substrate and end up on the bottom. If you want commercial substrate just use that.

That's the beauty of them, you don't need to add anything but use them as is. Plus they have a high CEC, cation exchange capacity, which means they can absorb and hold nutrients from detris and the water column for later use by plants.

The plant substrates are nice but you will still need to use some sort of root tab for the heavy root feeders.

if your gonna use sand get the pool filter sand not the play sand. pool filter sand is uniform and wont go all over the place like play sand .or you can get colorquart any color you want . i use pool filter sand and i gotta trim plants every two weeks

Back
Top Bottom