new planted tank ?s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gallon tank I intend on housing some apistos. It has some eco complete with 2x39W T5 over it, a Eheim ECCO ready for it and a 100 W heater. All I need are some plants and fish. I want to get a load of algea eaters to keep the tank clean and am wondering if I should wait to add fish until plants have established or just throw them all in at once. I thought I'd try an online retailer for most fish and plant purchases. Shall I order everything I want at once or in pieces? I'm not worried about putting too many fish in at once as the filter is fully seeded on my 125 at the moment and the amount of plants will take on excess ammonia.

Plant first, and let everything get settled down. If you add rams and they decide to dig you're going to be very angry and your fish won't know the better. Also, adding algae eaters such as otocinclus in a spick and span tank is a bad idea. They will quickly starve as they need lots of algae. I'd say let them grown in for at least half a month. And it's always best to use caution whilst stocking, a bit a time.

so the plants will be ok that long without fish waste? No rams. I am leaning towards apistogramma cacatuoides. Yeah some otos and SAEs. And nerite snails.

Personally, I'd skip the otos entirely. The SAEs will eventually (awhile depending on the size at purchase) need to move from a 30 due to size. Other than that, with a well seeded filter I'd go for it. A pair of cacs in a 30 will be very light load initially. As long as they are healthy and acclimated to the tank, they'll be fine IMO.

I think I will get the plants and apistos at the same time. Introduce the otos and SAEs and snails a month or so later. Why skip the otos? The SAEs can move to a larger tank as they get bigger.
Do you think I need CO2 in this setup?
I have 96W of T5 over a 30 gallon tank.
I am new to T5s. I haven't used pressurized CO2 before so I don't have that equipment but I could use the yeast sort and feed CO2 that way if needed.

I think you may be better off with CO2 with that amount of light. you can always try it without CO2 to start off, then if the plants don't do well, add CO2 later. in this case, i would start with only a few, cheaper plants, until you figure out if you really need the CO2 or not.

I think I will get the plants and apistos at the same time. Introduce the otos and SAEs and snails a month or so later. Why skip the otos? They tend to do better in an established aquarium. When a tank is new, it tends to be heavy in diatoms and otos thrive. That goes away in a couple months and there seems to be a period when they have to be supplemented before other algaes they eat establish. JME. The SAEs can move to a larger tank as they get bigger. Cool. They get bigger than most people realize.
Do you think I need CO2 in this setup? Definitely borderline. Depends on your plant stocking, lighting period, and nutrient level.
I have 96W of T5 over a 30 gallon tank.
I am new to T5s. I haven't used pressurized CO2 before so I don't have that equipment but I could use the yeast sort and feed CO2 that way if needed.

Ramblings in red.

I agree with mommytron that you can always try without CO2 then find out. However, with 96W over 30g, I can verify that your plants absolutely will benefit from CO2 injection. I had 39W over 30g, and had a lot of algae issues, without ferts or CO2. Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom