New to planted aquariums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samispeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 54litre aquarium with 3xt8 15w each fixture. Producing 45watts combined. So that's about 4 watts per gallon give or take.
I let the filter run for about a week before adding 3 neon tetras.
Fed fish once a day.
Then I couldn't wait and added 5 more fish and 5 cherry shrimp.
Now I'm regretting this as iv realised i have too high ammonia and nitrite levels!
I think I have new tank syndrome.
Is there any products out there (from uk) that has biological bacteria and actually works?
Just want some guys that have use had this problem and overcame it without killing off the fish.
I also have co2 pressurised kit which I added yesterday to help grow the plants better!
Any input would be great to lower my nitrite and ammonia levels.
Regards
Sami.

image-2019940757.jpg

This is my tank 5 days ago without pressurised co2 system.

By the way. This is my first ever aquarium.
And I'm trying to do planted aquarium.
People have told me its very demanding.
Thanks again.

You're taking a chance, adding fish before the cycle had completed. You may lose done.

Regardless, I hope you have a python water changer. You'll need to be doing daily (if not more) 50% water changes. You'll probably need to do this for a month or so, until the bacteria colonize and do it for you. Search this site for humane fish in cycling.

malfist said:
You're taking a chance, adding fish before the cycle had completed. You may lose done.

Regardless, I hope you have a python water changer. You'll need to be doing daily (if not more) 50% water changes. You'll probably need to do this for a month or so, until the bacteria colonize and do it for you. Search this site for humane fish in cycling.

Right.. So water change everyday! Ok! My LFS told me to add the fish to start the cycle.
My fish seem really active. Even though my nitrites is high! Thanks for the link!
Any bacteria u can recommend me putting into the tank to neutralise the nitrites and ammonia?

one thing that will definitely help you is to get certain plants that will act as nutrient sponges, and soak up any Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates (plants use these as food). Water Wisteria, Anacharis, Water Sprite, Hornwort, are common examples.

Note it will not replace water changes, but it will help make your fish more comfortable. What Substrate are you using?

Samispeed said:
Right.. So water change everyday! Ok! My LFS told me to add the fish to start the cycle.
My fish seem really active. Even though my nitrites is high! Thanks for the link!
Any bacteria u can recommend me putting into the tank to neutralise the nitrites and ammonia?

You can try whatever bacteria is available at your LFS. It isn't going to replace water changes but it may make the new tank less stressful on your fish and shrimp. Lots of people do fish in cycles, and it's fine to do it that way. You made a bad choice adding more fish and shrimp though. Feed very very lightly. Just enough for most of your fish to feed and a very small amount to your shrimp. If you overfeed during a cycle it can get bad quickly even with water changes. Good luck. I hope everybody pulls through. You have a nice looking tank. :)

Thank you mate. I will be doing lots of water changes daily until I get desired results!
Thanks for your input :)
I hope my fish and shrimp do okay! I will keep posted!

Ziggs180 said:
one thing that will definitely help you is to get certain plants that will act as nutrient sponges, and soak up any Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates (plants use these as food). Water Wisteria, Anacharis, Water Sprite, Hornwort, are common examples.

Note it will not replace water changes, but it will help make your fish more comfortable. What Substrate are you using?

I am using tropica plant substrate then sand then gravel ontop.
I have tonnes of plants in here. All live plants ranging from bacopa, cambomba to hemianthus Christmas moss and other types.
Sounds like water changes are the only solution.
How long does a fish in cycle take?

Samispeed said:
I am using tropica plant substrate then sand then gravel ontop.
I have tonnes of plants in here. All live plants ranging from bacopa, cambomba to hemianthus Christmas moss and other types.
Sounds like water changes are the only solution.
How long does a fish in cycle take?

You've already got nitrite so my guess would be about two or three weeks, maybe more maybe less. Because you have so many plants it may not be all that bad as long as you only feed what your fish can eat in about 20 seconds once a day and do the necessary water changes.

Thank you! Fingers crossed! Yes I want my whole tank to be heavily planted! I think the aqua scape look is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom