New to the game, big problems....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parker0313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I was given the aquarium bug and embraced it fully. I have a 36 gal Bowfront tank, Aqueon filter that came with the tank, Aqua-glo T-8 20W 18,000K light (I know thats not cutting it and am addressing that soon).

Right now I have a bubble wall airstone thing that I turn on for a about 4 hours a day (the sound of the pump annoys me and I think my water gets enough oxygen in the 4 hours... if I'm wrong tell me). Heater that came with the tank works great, never changes from 80 degF.

I found Dustinsfishtanks and fishtanktv.com and with other resources I decided to go dirt. I mixed organic dirt and some clay about 1+" deep and capped with about the same small natural gravel. I planted Cranium, Sag, stargrass, and some small unidentified red leaf plant. I have anubias and java fern tied to driftwood and it looks awesome.

I got an entire bacteria covered sponge thing that had been in a friends tank for about 2 years. The cycle happened quickly and I have been doing 30-40% water changes weekly. I know that's more than most do but with the dirt it's hard to really pick up stuff on the gravel and it keeps my water nice.

The fish always seem happy and show no signs of stress I can see. I had 1 dragon goby and a Raphael striped cat and some mollies. I gave the mollies away b/c I just didn't like them. I got a larger dragon, Looks a lot dif than my other dragon so I am questioning what the two fish really are.

I also got a Baby Whale fish that was cool as ****. Everything seemed great fish interacted for 2 days all seemed well.... Friday night I had a really good time lots of beer pong and I came hope decided to cover my tank with some towels so they could get a long dark night as my fish are mostly nocturnal especially the cat, he rarely moves during the day. I turned on the airstone and passed out.

I wake up with a slight hangover sat afternoon remove the towels and turned on the light. I instantly noticed I couldn't see crap, the water was cloudy as **** and there was a fine layer of black stuff all over the tank. The new dragon had dug a cavern under a large flat rock and sent the dirt out the back... right into the bubble wall which evenly distributed the dirt everywhere. I got my bucket and started getting my siphon ready.

My new whale fish decided to swim near a peep-hole the dragon had created on the front side of the rock. Out of the abyss Mr. Dragon came out mouth open and he possibly screamed "DIE!" he grabbed the whale by the head and shook him like a baby seal on shark week. It was brutal, lasted maybe 3 seconds and the deed was done.

The dragon never even got his entire body out of his custom bomb shelter. The whale twitched once and his new wound covered body drifted off. My smaller dragon was acting normal laying around on leaves and poking for food. The cat has set up shop in the basement with the self proclaimed "alpha fish". Those two rarely venture off without the other which is cool. At night I catch glimpses of them swimming side by side. It's strange like an odd couple thing going on.. Long skinny A-hole with teeth and a short fat guy with spikes all over him.

I have vacuumed over and over constantly changing water but he keeps digging. The fish store will be open tomorrow so hopefully I can return and get something that is more compatible with a planted tank. Does anyone have any experience with a dragon killing fish or digging? I though maybe he was a birchir but comparing him to pictures I am positive he's a goby. Any advice on my situation would be appreciated, thanks for reading my book...

Wow thats intense. Umm i dont own either of those fish and have never herd of them, but i read that dragon fish arnt suppised to be afressive twards other fish? How big was ur baby whale fish?

Can you please edit your post with periods and proper paragraphs? It's kind of a headache to look at.

The baby whale was about 3" long, angry dragon is 4-5" I would say.

How long has this tank been running? Putting straight dirt in a tank is not something for novices, it has a potential for several issues. It's unfortunate that they sold you on it, at least IMO. The first several weeks of a straight soil tank are usually accompanied by algae blooms and possible ammonia spikes.

Have you tested the water for toxins?

Dragon gobies are brackish fish. If he's stressed out by that and possible toxins, he might have gotten irritable and lashed out.

And it's odd because dragon gobies aren't primarily predators. They're mostly scavengers and opportunistic predators, preferring to scavenge. They might get a injured or sick fish once in a while though.

I mean, bumblebee gobies hold their own against them for god's sake.

I test the water every 2-3 days with a test kit, everything has been stable. It's been running for 3 months. No algae growth on the sides that I can see yet, but I do have some snails and tons of shrimp always working.

Now about them being brackish, that's my fault I should have done more research rather than taking the guys word for it at the store. I explained my setup in detail.

He didn't eat the fish, just killed it. My first guess was he was being territorial with his new cave. It's unfortunate what happened but after more thought and looking around this board I am currently keeping fish in a tank they don't belong in so the gobys are going back and hopefully I'll get some credit to get some fish that will do better.

aqua_chem said:
Dragon gobies are brackish fish. If he's stressed out by that and possible toxins, he might have gotten irritable and lashed out.

And it's odd because dragon gobies aren't primarily predators. They're mostly scavengers and opportunistic predators, preferring to scavenge. They might get a injured or sick fish once in a while though.

I mean, bumblebee gobies hold their own against them for god's sake.

Hahaha funny. And ya this seems to be a little odd.

jetajockey said:
How long has this tank been running? Putting straight dirt in a tank is not something for novices, it has a potential for several issues. It's unfortunate that they sold you on it, at least IMO. The first several weeks of a straight soil tank are usually accompanied by algae blooms and possible ammonia spikes.

Have you tested the water for toxins?

Yeah its hard even for ppl that had tanks all their life too, but u wont get algae bloom if u plant the heck out of it or get use lots of duck weed

I test the water every 2-3 days with a test kit,

Liquid test kit? Or strips?

What are your exact readings.

Why not just turn the lights off instead of covering with a towel. Even ambient light in the room won't affect the fish that are nocturnal.

Have we figured out the actual species that you're calling a "baby whale fish"? Not that I've heard of every species, but I know I've never heard of that one.

LyndaB said:
Liquid test kit? Or strips?

What are your exact readings.

Why not just turn the lights off instead of covering with a towel. Even ambient light in the room won't affect the fish that are nocturnal.

Have we figured out the actual species that you're calling a "baby whale fish"? Not that I've heard of every species, but I know I've never heard of that one.

Ohh i looked it up and it exists! It actually looks like a baby whale which is funny

In researching this species, they are really sensitive to water parameters, require live food and they do require pvc piping or the like as their hidey hole. Sounds like yours was looking for a man cave when it got killed. Sorry for your loss.

It's really important to fully research every species that you have. Only then can you provide them with compatible tankmates as well as the proper environment.

Back
Top Bottom