Newbie Question - how to clean planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just converted both of my tanks to planted and am wondering how to siphon the substrate without disturbing the plants.

Thank you very much.

I have a ton of plants and I don't gravel vac either. As above I just do my weekly WC.

I just lightly swirl the siphon over the tops of the places where there are plants in the substrate and gently "touch down" with it in places where the substrate is exposed.

I just lightly swirl the siphon over the tops of the places where there are plants in the substrate and gently "touch down" with it in places where the substrate is exposed.

I wish I could do that but my plants are too thick. What I have to do is just wave my hand through the plants gently to knock off any detris off them while I'm doing a WC. That is the one disadvantage IMO to having really thick plantings of stem plants and alot of fish.

I realized today that I can't gravel vac my 29 any more. Too many plants/too thick!!!! It's ok though, my mts earn their keep by cleaning up.

Back
Top Bottom