Ok plant people..mission accomplished!!(updated 9/13/6)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think your potential with overdriving such small fixtures will be limited. I still highly suggest going with a metal halide lamp, seeing as they're not expensive at all when you assemble it yourself.

If that's 2 fixtures, then you might be able to get a single fixture with 2 65W CF's on there. That would also get that depth as well. And may be the cheapest way as well, without doing DIY ODNO. Maybe the Coralife fixture like I have on my 29G. How wide is the tank?

Edit:

I just read the post, 18 inches? I couldn't find anything at that length, but did find this:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29607;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
It's 20 inches. Not sure if it would stick out much on both sides of the tank.

Ok....just added the anacharis..

The way this stuff blew up in the 29 I gotta believe it will at least survive in the new tank.

A little surprised at how well the sand held the plants.Better then the gravel no doubt!Not what I expected.

I'm going to run threw this thread again tomorrow and make a lighting decision..or at least a direction.

plantsin504hh.jpg

Pardon the flash...the ones without it were much worse....but you'll get the idea.Still more empty then not,but at least the fish have somthing to swim around.

Mission update:

The anacharis is doing well and seems to be growing a bit...athough some of the shoots are very close to the top so that may be why it going ok.

I just left wal-mart,where I thought about this thread,so I just dropped in some Aponogeton bulbs.I have zero expectation that they will work,,,but for two bucks why not give em a shot?

I still havn't made a change to the lights one way or the other......

Fatz go to Pet Pros on Cherry Rd and ask for Matthew. Tell him Chuck sent you and ask if he can special order you the crypts, whichever ones you decide on. Pet Pros IMO is a better store customer service wise than PetSmart will ever be. He'll even special order fish, lights, products that aren't in the store as long as his distributor carries it.

Tell him I said Hey and I'll be by soon, just been busy with the new job.

edit: Wanted to include this site, it has some good pics of various plants you can judge the look and then research them on other sites

http://www.tropica.dk/plant_print.asp

This site lets you break down the plant requirements a bit more. Great for researching http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php

Thanks for the links Ice.It sure seems like crypts are the way to go...I'll be looking into them more now.

If I can have live plants without any changes to the current set that would be ideal.I think I'll try it from that angle first.

I know Matthew (or at least I think so)...been in there many times.They have offered to order German blues for me though....and a part for one of my filters...so they are helpful that way.
I'll check the links and stop in...thanks again.

Woops...almost forgot malkore's offer.Think I'll hit him with a pm.He knows the situation...I trust what he ships will at least have a chance...

How about lowering the waterline and having a big piece of driftwood sticking out of the water, with some anubias grown emersed and a bunch of floating plants?

Thanks for the suggestion czcz.Thats brings to mind a nice image,
But I have the decor covered now...in one fail swoop too lol.
You did remind me that I should add a pic to this thread as well.

bigfishagain3zg.jpg

I did want to update this before the vacation...the plants are growing.The tallest have reached the top...all good there.

One of the bulbs has kicked out a sprout....this will be interesting to watch.
I.ll try to get a pic up tonight before I go.

The tank lights will be out for four days..not sure what I'll find what I get back.Whatever it is,you know I'll pass it on.

woops...i'll have to update later...I have GOT TO get better with the picture software.

Mission update:6/2/6
warning:if the update itself doesn't make your computer self destruct these terrible pictures might.But like any bad carpenter I'm gonna blame my tools....I kinda have too because my camera truely blows.

First off the anacharis,or at least one shoot, has reached the top and turned.The rest are on there way.I'm starting to think this plant will grow in a shoe closet with the lights off.
tallplantsontop1dy.jpg

The Aponogeton bulbs are starting to do thier thing.Well, two out of four are anyway.This is the larger one,maybe six inches now (the longest shoot).
bulbsprout26rt.jpg

This is a little smaller,each shoot is just a few inches long.
bulbsprout1js.jpg

Both bulbs that have started producing are in the back of the tank.As you may have noticed there is a window right behind the tank.I'm thinking that although the curtian stays closed the light that filters through is helping the back bulbs.Maybe?perhaps?coincidance?
fwiw the bulb thats started first and is larger is also closer to the glass french doors (eight feet from the tank I'd guess),no direct light,but more light I'd have to assume.

Update:

I just moved one Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' plant from the 29g and put a fert tab under it.It was at the top of the 29 and had a pretty big root system.Its about half way up the 50...maybe a liitle higher.This stuff grew like mad @1.2 so I think it will at least survive.We'll see.

I actually HAD to trim the anacharis.Many had reached the top,some were curling up there....the longest (I swear) was 2 feet above the top of the tank when held straight up even though it was still in the substrate.

The aponogeton bulbs are still doing ok.The one that started early is about half way up.The late starter is about 75% of that I guess.
2 (of the 4) bulbs have yet to yield a sprout.
How to trim these I wonder...no stems,just leaves...thoughts?

I took some pics but now I can't find em darn it....I'll get it image updated either tonight or tomorrow.

Ok...good news...I think I've found a decent setting for this less then steller camera.

For a little verbage on the the situation:
The Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' was about four inches below the statues top.Now its above it by a couple of inches so that transfer is going great.

I've got another coming to the top of my 29g so I'll move it soon now that I know it will do well.

The two aponogeton bulbs that kicked out can be seen as well,but the pics are a better look at the bigger one....under/around the black spray bar on the left.

And as you can see I have anacharis nearing the top again.

Overall I like the look.It needs to fill in a bit more,but I'd guess I'm 60 to 70% of the way there as far as my vision for the tank is cconcerned.'

Now that I have the cam figured out a bit I'll try to get some pics tonight with the just tank lights..it really is looking pretty good imo....and it looks outstanding at .6wpg deep lol.

plantupdate4np.jpg

plantupdate29uo.jpg

Hey Fatz..

How are the Myriophyllum mattogrossense and Brazillian Pennywort doing for you?

I'm going to do some trimming again this week if you're interested, if not I'll be giving them to my other tank or the LFS.

Hygrophila polysperma ''Ceylon''
Wisteria
Some type of Ludwiga or Rotala not sure which. I can't keep up with what I have now.

Ok, I had to pop in to say that centerpiece is absolutely awesome ^^ At first I was thinking "wow! that is the most amazing piece of driftwood ever shaped" but then I saw the fishy head ^^ Did you find that just at your lfs?

This pic is a liitle better as it was taken lights out:
plantsin500011zv.jpg

A close up of the "big fish".
plantsin500099xj.jpg

The statue is actually from a little garden and seed store,meant for the great outdoors no doubt.
I thought it was a perfect fit for a tough to decorate tank so I gave it a try.
Turned out better then I would have thought it might.

Ice the penny wort is doing pretty well in the 29.As it comes up I'll get a pic up.The Myriophyllum mattogrossense did not survive my gouramis...the seem to love a plant with needle like leaves.Its not the first plant like that I have had that problem with ,but probably the last one like that I will try in there lol.They just pull em a part.

Thanks for passing the on to me though.As far as new ones go I think I'll abstain for now and manage what I have,they are coming up pretty fast.

a small suggestion for u if u want to make the tank more interesting is to empty out half the water and cut to fit a few peices of plexi glass at different levels up the side. once u have them in and siliconed put sand on top of them(maybe make some kind of lip to prevent sand from falling) and then plant the new levels. it will almost be like a cavern with ledges as u go down. u will have small darker spots on the bottom of the tank that u could accomadate with lower light plants. just a suggestion though. i was going to do this in my 35 hex cause it was so tall but i went with fake planted. still looked good. u can check out my gallery i think i have a pic of it in there. i sold it a while ago but wish i hadnt. it may be on the seccond page. hope that helps a little.

Just a quick update:

About five days ago I added another Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' to the left side of the statue.It had reached the top of the 29 and like the other is a four or five inches below the top of the statue.

The two aponogeton bulbs that sprouted are doing great.I'll probably pull the other two (duds).

The one I transfered first now about two inches for the top of the tank.

The anacharis is still going strong.

transfer0246kr.jpg

Edit....Hope this the right pic...If so the new plant is in front of the gray tail.The other one,put in at the same size,is reaching taller behind it.

Back
Top Bottom