Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Online Aquarium Plant Stores W/ Quality + Questions

Well I have searched high and low for flame moss / fissidens / willow moss around my local Aquarium store and found nothing. Seems like I can only get the plants that I want from a online vendor. What quality Online stores carry plants that are quality and in good condition on arrival?

Also I am unsure how much I need to purchase? I only want to cover a rock which is about 6in L X 2in W and one peice of driftwood that is 12in L X 4in W My plan is putting flame moss on the rock since its in the front in in the middle and the fissidens on the driftwood. How much do you think (estimate) I should purchase. I already have all the materials to attach the plants. Its a green 6lb fishline. I'll have to snip the line when the plants attach which is fine and not a problem.

Let me know, and thank you for you replies in advance!
J

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I'd recommend posting in the Barter Trade Forum. Especially the Flame Moss and Fissidens Moss are mostly being traded among hobbiests, and not really all that available from the stores yet. You really don't need to buy a lot either. In the right conditions they'll spread quickly and you'll have more than enough to cover the rocks and driftwood.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
Personally I'd recommend posting in the Barter Trade Forum. Especially the Flame Moss and Fissidens Moss are mostly being traded among hobbiests, and not really all that available from the stores yet. You really don't need to buy a lot either. In the right conditions they'll spread quickly and you'll have more than enough to cover the rocks and driftwood.
Sounds great, thanks for the advice purrbox!

J
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I haven't bought from them personally but I suggest you check out www.aquabotanic.com. I've bought plants online from www.aquaspotworld.com and they had species that nobody else had.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My all-time favorite place to get plants was from Dr. Prescott at www.aquariumlandscapes.net, but he retired and sold his inventory to Robert Hudson at www.aquabotanic.com who does a great job of providing large, healthy plants. www.aquabid.com is another great place to find rare and unusual plants you can't find anywhere else.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second aquabid, especially the seller Lowcoaster. he is awesome!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfound77951
I second aquabid, especially the seller Lowcoaster. he is awesome!
Definitely! You can contact Charley (aka Lowcoaster) at beadgc@nyc.rr.com for a price list of his stock. The prices you see on AquaBid are his everyday prices so don't think you have buy them at auction to get them. He has a very extensive inventory of hard-to-find plants and is a great guy to deal with.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I will third buying from Charley, he is a great guy and has great plants.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the replies. I purchased from aquamagic 3 portions of Fissidens Fontanus :P I purchased it yesterday and it was shipped out early this morning and on its way!

J
Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

A fourth for Charlie.

Can't beat the monthly email list of new plants either. Just in case you did not realize you needed more plants

Tags
plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com