Stocking and Help with German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThunderCuck9000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I've just started a new 10 gallon/38L tank, it's my first tank. I'm currently cycling it, I put a dead shrimp in and the water and the ammonia is at 5ppm, just waiting for the bacteria to pop up and for the tank to completely cycle before getting any live stock.

I've planted the tank, low-tech so no ferts or C02, just flourite black substrate and hardscaped with dragon rock.

Water Perimeters:
7.2 pH
Soft water
Temp: 27C

Originally, I was going to do a half-moon betta and 10 or so black cherry shrimp. But after looking at more fish, I think I want to stock with:
1 German blue ram
6-10 ember tetras
10 cherry shrimp

However, I keep reading that they're not beginner fish, how is this so?
Will the ram be fine with the pH? I'd rather keep it stable than try to lower it as I don't want tannins or to use chemical lowers as I may dose too much!I

Does this sound okay? Any advice?
JkY3cVq.jpg

It's going to be a challenge to keep that tank stable enough for a ram. Not saying its impossible, they just dont do well in poor/unstable conditions. They like warmer water as well, 82°

It's going to be a challenge to keep that tank stable enough for a ram. Not saying its impossible, they just dont do well in poor/unstable conditions. They like warmer water as well, 82°
Do you happen to have any tips to keep it stable? Frequent water changes? The reason why I've chosen 27C (80.5F) is because the shrimp and ember tetras prefer 27C, but is raising it more important? I'm happy to change around, tank is still cycling so I have plenty of time to change it

Back
Top Bottom