Plant debris in filter help beneficial colonise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Plant debris in filter help beneficial bacteria?

I bought a bottle of Tetra Safestart to help my tank cycle. My question is, I got plants for it today and they released quite a bit of debris. Should I leave the debris in the filter or clean it first before adding the tetra safestart? Will it have a positive or negative impact on the bacteria being able to colonize the sponge filter.

Thanks in advance!

That's an interesting question and I was wondering myself :) Decaying plant matter would I assume add ammonia and probably some extra useful bacteria types (but the ones I'm thinking of would establish fairly quickly anyways later on).

Unless there is a lot of debris, I wouldn't clean it for a fish-in cycle. Too much risk IMO of disturbing bacteria. For fishless cycle, either way - it is just time.

I agree with Delapool. Unless there is a lot of debris it should be fine to just leave it and go ahead and add the Safe Start. I am assuming that the BB in Safe Start need to feed on something (ammonia?). The heterotrophs will start breaking down the debris into ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom