plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have experience with these plants listed below that could offer some advice? We only have low lighting (15 watt flourescent for 20 gal.). and no co2. The light is on for aprox. 12 hours per day. We have some plants, grown from bulbs they sell at Wal Mart, that are established and do very nicely.

new plants:
java moss
subwassertang
camboba
Brazalian Pennywort
Hornwort
Amazon frogbit
duckweed
ludwigia
najas (guppy grass)

I doubt the cabomba and ludwigia would survive low light conditions. Are you trying to grow duckweed intentionaly? It will cover the water surface and block what little light you have.

I agree about the ludwigia and the cabomba. They are medium high to high light plants. I use duckweed in most of my tanks that it will grow in to take care of any excess nitrates. Though I doubt that would work in a low light tank. For them to soak up nitrates they need to be growing fast. I just thin it out every PWC and feed it to my Uaru so it doesn't take over unless I neglect the tank which is a good barometer fiord PWC.

I think the cabomba is the only plant you'll have troube with. I put a stem of ludwigia repens in my 10g ultra low light (for now) and it's growing... slow... but its growing. The rest should all be fine. I'd caution you on the duckweed though, it may cause issues by blocking the light. And... once you get it, you can't get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom