Plant Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marlenew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I might find a good source online for plants? I am in Canada, so a Canadian source is necessary. I want some of the plant that looks lek grass, and some java moss. I kind of want all sorts of plants, but those seem to be the nicest. Any help is appreciated. I am also willing to trade, or pay s&h is someone is willing to send me some, as I can't find any myself. My LFS is closed down, so I can't go there, and the nearest one is 200 miles away.

Marlene

I have a 20 gallon, a 10 gallon, and a 2.5 gallon acrylic. My firned is giving me another 10 gallon today. :-D

The lighting? In the 20 gallon, I have a long flourescent bulb....I have not yet had to replace it, so I really know nothing about it. In the ten I have there are 2 25 watt bulbs. In the 2.5, there is a normal living world aquarium light, that attached to the top, on the outside.
The LFS, before it closed, gave me a tiny piece about 2 inches long, of some sort of plant, and it seems to be doing well, it's about 3.5 inches now.

Marlene

Wattage is important when making a decision on types of plants to include in the tank. If you look at the tube, on one end or the other, it will probably say what the wattage is.
Is the 20 taller than it is long or longer than it is tall? They make two different type 20s.....a 20 long and a 20 high.
The height makes a difference as well, because if your lighting is only 15watts, you can probably get away with low light plants in a 'long', but if it's a high, you will have to increase your wattage or you will have to get very low light plants to be successful. There aren't many choices of them around.
If you did indeed mean 'bulbs' in the 10, you probably have incandescent bulbs(regular light bulbs) in there, right? If so, you will need to get some screw in fluorescent bulbs at Home Depot or Lowes, for that tank.
I'm only bringing all this up, because in order to be successful you need light that will grow plants, and that should be your first step before getting plants.

Len

Wow! Youa re very informative, and helpful. I will get some of those bulbs, for my ten gallon. My 20 is longer than it is high. I checked the light, it is a Power Glo, 18 Inches, and is 15 watts. What kinds of plants can/should I get, if I figure out where to get some? LOL.

Back
Top Bottom