Planted 1gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 1gal. Fry tank with a java fern. So far it is doing ok. I wanted to add maybe one other type of plant to it. A couple of plants I am interested in are as follows: taxiphyllumbarnieri, eleocharis sp., Egeria densa ad sagittaria subulata. I am willing and able to upgrade my lights a little and use ferts. I am not able to use any Co2, however, as my tank has and under gravel filter.

I would like to know if any of these will work in this tank or not?

I also would like to know (or confirm) the possibility of having a carpet of some sort? I know most carpets need Co2 and medium or higher light. But if there's anything I could use that might work that would be great to know.

Thanks in advance!

Before you start looking at plants I would suggest looking at a new filter. Undergravel filters aren't good in planted tank. The roots interfere with it and reduce its efficiency.

This is my tank I have. Is there a way I can use the tube and make a home made sponge filter out of it?

Attachments

• image-455267272.jpg
    image-455267272.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 83
Definitely. It would involve drilling some holes at the very bottom of the tube (about the bottom 2-3 inches) and sliding a sponge over that section. There are heaps of how to's if you do a search of the site.

Definitely. It would involve drilling some holes at the very bottom of the tube (about the bottom 2-3 inches) and sliding a sponge over that section. There are heaps of how to's if you do a search of the site.

I did find some videos on DIY sponge filters. It looks super easy. Thanks for the help. I will be changing the filter this weekend.

Now, with takin out the UG filter, would any of these plants work with the set up I have. I plan on getting a desk lamp with a better bulb to use for lighting. I will most likely use root tabs. With these changes and ferts, will the plants survive and thrive?

Trial and error?

I will be giving these a try. If they don't work in the 1 gal. I will move them to my daughters 10 gal.

Thanks for the help!!

Trial and error?

I will be giving these a try. If they don't work in the 1 gal. I will move them to my daughters 10 gal.

Thanks for the help!!

Everything is trial and error. What works for some may not work for others.plants will definitely thrive if you use liquid ferts and root tabs along with co2 but then you need to upgrade your light because without enought light you will get a crazy algae bloom. I like that little fry set-up btw. Its perfect for them!

Everything is trial and error. What works for some may not work for others.plants will definitely thrive if you use liquid ferts and root tabs along with co2 but then you need to upgrade your light because without enought light you will get a crazy algae bloom. I like that little fry set-up btw. Its perfect for them!

I do plan on upgrading my light using a desk lamp. Just have to figure out a lid of some sort.

Thanks that was an older picture the fake plant on the right was taken out and replaced with a java fern attached to a small piece of drift wood I found.

Using co2 becomes a problem for this tank at least. It has an under gravel filter that I will be rigging into a sponge filter, as discussed above, and I have read that an air stone will bubble out the co2. Whether this is correct or not, I don't know. I will be using root tabs and will be looking into ferts. I over feed my fry most of the time so I figure most of the decaying food will go for nutrients for the plants. I assume that any ferts I need beyond that is just what the plants aren't getting from the tank itself.

I will be planting my daughters 10gal. In the future as well so the 1gal. Is practice before I move to a bigger tank lol.

This is my plan for now. I am still researching and and planning, so if anything i stated is wrong or needs correcting, i would love to hear input.

I do plan on upgrading my light using a desk lamp. Just have to figure out a lid of some sort.

Thanks that was an older picture the fake plant on the right was taken out and replaced with a java fern attached to a small piece of drift wood I found.

Using co2 becomes a problem for this tank at least. It has an under gravel filter that I will be rigging into a sponge filter, as discussed above, and I have read that an air stone will bubble out the co2. Whether this is correct or not, I don't know. I will be using root tabs and will be looking into ferts. I over feed my fry most of the time so I figure most of the decaying food will go for nutrients for the plants. I assume that any ferts I need beyond that is just what the plants aren't getting from the tank itself.

I will be planting my daughters 10gal. In the future as well so the 1gal. Is practice before I move to a bigger tank lol.

This is my plan for now. I am still researching and and planning, so if anything i stated is wrong or needs correcting, i would love to hear input.

For a lid, goto lowes or home depot, they have acrylic and you can cut it to fit the top

For a lid, goto lowes or home depot, they have acrylic and you can cut it to fit the top

I was just there yesterday lol. Will have to wait till payday. At least if I use acrylic I can make the lid fit. The one on the tank won't lockdown because of the heater cord. Thanks! Looking forward to this new adventure in aquarium keeping!

You can always use a little liquid carbon such as Excel daily which will aid plants in photosynthesis and growth.

I was just there yesterday lol. Will have to wait till payday. At least if I use acrylic I can make the lid fit. The one on the tank won't lockdown because of the heater cord. Thanks! Looking forward to this new adventure in aquarium keeping!

Use a saw and cut a little piece off the back so the cord isnt in the way. That will save you around 20 $

You can always use a little liquid carbon such as Excel daily which will aid plants in photosynthesis and growth.

Use a saw and cut a little piece off the back so the cord isnt in the way. That will save you around 20 $

Rivercat: thank you for dropping in on my thread! have heard a lot about you on here. I'm assuming excel wont cause any issues for my fry will it? I believe I have heard a lot of good things about Seachem's excel. Not sure if that is the right one I'm thinking of.

Jwh: thanks! Money is pretty right at the moment. Preparing for a new born surely makes things a little tight. Will hit up lowes the next time I'm there for yard supplies. Will a drill bit work to make slits on the back side?

Rivercat: thank you for dropping in on my thread! have heard a lot about you on here. I'm assuming excel wont cause any issues for my fry will it? I believe I have heard a lot of good things about Seachem's excel. Not sure if that is the right one I'm thinking of.

Jwh: thanks! Money is pretty right at the moment. Preparing for a new born surely makes things a little tight. Will hit up lowes the next time I'm there for yard supplies. Will a drill bit work to make slits on the back side?

Definitely. A drill is easier to us as well. Once you start drilling you shoulg get rhe idea. Its okay to make it a littke bigger as well

Just start the Excel using 1ml per 10 gallons of water. Then you can up it later if need be to 1ml Excel per 5 gallons of water. I've never had any problems even at very high doses so I would think the fry will be fine.

Definitely. A drill is easier to us as well. Once you start drilling you shoulg get rhe idea. Its okay to make it a littke bigger as well

Sweet! Thanks again! Ill post a pick when I get the adjustments and changes made on the tank.

Just start the Excel using 1ml per 10 gallons of water. Then you can up it later if need be to 1ml Excel per 5 gallons of water. I've never had any problems even at very high doses so I would think the fry will be fine.

I didn't think it would be a problem. Thank you for the help and advice! Have seen pics of your tanks and I hope in time I will have a tank that is close to looking as good as yours do.

Haven't been able to upgrade lighting and add plants to the 1 gal., but I upgraded the lights in my daughters 10gal. And I forgot to do the ferts. Started growing algae on the sides and in the gravel. Will be getting some ferts today and going to add to the cleanup crew.

Attachments

• image-1906703115.jpg
    image-1906703115.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 36
How long are you running the lights and what type of algae? When having algae issues you need to limit your photoperiod to 6 hours only.

How long are you running the lights and what type of algae? When having algae issues you need to limit your photoperiod to 6 hours only.

Well I'm assuming its algae only because it pipes up when I changed the lights. If you look closely at the pick I posted you can see it in the glass. I can take a better picture if need be. My light schedule runs for 10 hrs.

Well I'm assuming its algae only because it pipes up when I changed the lights. If you look closely at the pick I posted you can see it in the glass. I can take a better picture if need be. My light schedule runs for 10 hrs.

Well I can already tell you that 10 hours is too much. 8 hours tops but most stick to around 6 hours

Back
Top Bottom