Planted Tank 36G Bow Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All, I recently switched out my HOB's for a Fluval 306 External. I am trying to get the best flow setup for this planted tank, it is heavily planted.

36G Bow Front
Equipment I have on hand, 1 spray bar, 1 duck bill, Hydor Koralia 425G.

Currently I have a 22in spray bar along the back of the tank, and the filter intake is in the back left corner. In this setup, most of the debris stay floating in the middle of the tank and/or get caught in the ludwigia in the middle of the tank. I am trying to keep the equipment to a minimum in the tank. Is there a more efficient filtration/flow design I can use to make sure co2 and nutrients or distributed well, while also maintain maximum cleaning/filtration?

I have a 26 gallon Bow Front. I find the dimensions a bit challenging to get good flow. The tank is generally too tall in my opinion. For me I run a Ehiem 2217, Aqua clear HOB 30, Eheim surface skimmer and a Hydro 240. I still get a slight sway to the plants. Honestly, I don't see you finding a better way with less equipment, the height of this tank makes it challenging.

Yeah, that is what I am finding out.. Right, now I went back to the duck bill output nozzle, both the intake and outtake are on the far right side glass, pointing to the left side glass. Creating a circular motion going left to right.. It seems to be doing good, except its blowing the wisteria around on the left side of the tank... I may need to move the wisteria to the right side and put something else in the left... If i put the hydor in there, everything is just swirling!

Its so much work and thought to keep re-configuring it.

Well I think I have settled on having the spray across the back top. Though I am wondering if it would be even better to run the spray across the bottom of the substrate... I have the PVC left over to pull it off... But def getting tired of priming and re-org the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you run it across the bottom of a heavily planted tank, IMO there would be too many obstructions for decent flow.
I've often wondered how effective it would be to run a spray bar along the back wall on the substrate with the holes pointing upward. Sort of like a bubble wand without the bubbles. At worst, the plants would be blown upwards. I think it would provide good movement and circulation without too much surface agitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm, I am not sure, because the water would just go up and slightly move forward? I thought the flow hitting the glass diverting it down was what created the circular motion... No idea honestly...

I have my spray bar high enough so that it is moving the surface water for the water to be oxygenated, yet I have it positioned so that the holes are horizontal to the surface water line, so there is some surface agitation. Some have their spray bars positioned so that the water doesn't move at the surface, but I think that this strategy isn't good for the fish...CO2 in itself is cheaper than fish lives. I also have my Hydor 240 powerhead positioned so that it is pointing towards the front pane of glass. That way the fish and plants aren't disturbed by the flow. Too much flow will make your fish be stressed, but too little flow will be optimal for algae and will be unhealthy for many fish.

I have my spray bar high enough so that it is moving the surface water for the water to be oxygenated, yet I have it positioned so that the holes are horizontal to the surface water line, so there is some surface agitation. Some have their spray bars positioned so that the water doesn't move at the surface, but I think that this strategy isn't good for the fish...CO2 in itself is cheaper than fish lives. I also have my Hydor 240 powerhead positioned so that it is pointing towards the front pane of glass. That way the fish and plants aren't disturbed by the flow. Too much flow will make your fish be stressed, but too little flow will be optimal for algae and will be unhealthy for many fish.

Is yours a Bow Front? Also what kind of canister/flowrate are you using? After some more tuning of the spray bar facing the front, I have throttled the canister to 60% and I am getting a gentle sway by all the plants, at 100% flow seems like all the plants are shoved back and up and moving very fast. I am wondering if the bow is actually making it better for the circulation as it creates a "U" shape bend in the flow.

Well I think I have settled on having the spray across the back top. Though I am wondering if it would be even better to run the spray across the bottom of the substrate... I have the PVC left over to pull it off... But def getting tired of priming and re-org the tank.

Would you mind posting up some pics?

Would you mind posting up some pics?

Hunter, I did not do it across the bottom of the substrate, as Fresh brought up a very good point. Not sure its worth my time to do so because of the density of the plants in the soil, which would severely hamper the flow with its stems, roots, leaves, etc..

Is yours a Bow Front? Also what kind of canister/flowrate are you using? After some more tuning of the spray bar facing the front, I have throttled the canister to 60% and I am getting a gentle sway by all the plants, at 100% flow seems like all the plants are shoved back and up and moving very fast. I am wondering if the bow is actually making it better for the circulation as it creates a "U" shape bend in the flow.

No, mine is just an average 30 gallon long. I'm running an Eheim 2213 on mine, which has a flow of 116 GPH. That and the powerhead (240 GPH) are enough for my high-tech planted tank. Around 10 GPH per 1 gallon is recommended for good flow and circulation.

No, mine is just an average 30 gallon long. I'm running an Eheim 2213 on mine, which has a flow of 116 GPH. That and the powerhead (240 GPH) are enough for my high-tech planted tank. Around 10 GPH per 1 gallon is recommended for good flow and circulation.

I am running the Fluval 306, and it alone is giving me around 8 turn overs an hour. Provided their specs are real, but from the looks of the plants on 100% throttle I would think so.

Back
Top Bottom