Planted yesterday, Willow Moss & Hornwort brown today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What should I do with my new plants?

• Pull anything brown and move on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be patient, keep fertilizing, hope for the best

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Get fish to help fertilize

• Go with silk plants instead

• Total voters

MrsHarp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Brand new tank that I just planted, and after one day Hornwort and Willow Moss looking very bad, mostly brown, hardly any green at all. I bought the plants through Amazon and they got here very quickly, only 3 days in transit, planted on fourth day.

Is this normal? Will plants 'bounce back'?

25g temp 74 Aqueon QuietFlow 30 filter, HydroSponge 2 filter
T5 dual lamp fixture, 14w 6700k & 14w Colormax bulbs, on 12 hours/day with 2 hour 'siesta' in late afternoon
Planted with Hornwort & Willow Moss (obviously)
also Dwarf Hairgrass and Red Ludwigia
Eco-Complete substrate
dosed water with tap water conditioner (will be putting in fish this weekend, probably)
5ml Flourish Excel
2ml Flourish
2ml Flourish Potassium
2ml Flourish Iron
(Yes, I like Seachem products)
15ml Plant Zone

2nd day, 2ml Flourish Excel only

got some Flourish Trace today but haven't used it yet, directions say best to use with Flourish supplement, and I only want to do that twice a week, so adding both tomorrow.

Everything looked fine yesterday, and other plants looking good today, but the Hornwort and Willow Moss looking like Christmas tree in March.
To worry or not to worry?
That is the question... but I know I'll worry. Lots of $$ in this tank already.
So, any advice for this newbie?
All anwsers appreciated!

Hope u get help. I got some plants getting brown on their leaves too, and I don't have a clue either. I also use Seachem product line.

Plants usually need some time to adjust to new settings.

I'm not an advanced planted tank keeper but I can pass along some advice.

1. Research: know what you're buying. Plants can fall into 3 simple categories.
Low, medium, or high light.

Depending on light requirements will usually determine your fert regimen.

Plants then can be predominantly root feeders( swords and crypts ) or stem feeders ( ludwigia and your hornwort ).

2. Too much light is a bad thing. If you're running 12 hours a day and dosing ferts and don't have plants using up al those nutrients then that's a recipe for algae. Cut back to 7-8.

3. I like Seachem too but you definitely don't need all those products. You can get by and have success with just Excel( CO2 ), Flourish Comprehensive( micros ) and Leaf Zone( macros ).

4. Ask questions. There's plenty of knowledgable people on this site and lots of information.

Hope this helps!

Brand new tank that I just planted, and after one day Hornwort and Willow Moss looking very bad, mostly brown, hardly any green at all. I bought the plants through Amazon and they got here very quickly, only 3 days in transit, planted on fourth day.

Is this normal? Will plants 'bounce back'?

25g temp 74 Aqueon QuietFlow 30 filter, HydroSponge 2 filter

T5 dual lamp fixture, 14w 6700k & 14w Colormax bulbs, on 12 hours/day with 2 hour 'siesta' in late afternoon

Planted with Hornwort & Willow Moss (obviously)

also Dwarf Hairgrass and Red Ludwigia

Eco-Complete substrate

dosed water with tap water conditioner (will be putting in fish this weekend, probably)

5ml Flourish Excel

2ml Flourish

2ml Flourish Potassium

2ml Flourish Iron

(Yes, I like Seachem products)

15ml Plant Zone

2nd day, 2ml Flourish Excel only

got some Flourish Trace today but haven't used it yet, directions say best to use with Flourish supplement, and I only want to do that twice a week, so adding both tomorrow.

Everything looked fine yesterday, and other plants looking good today, but the Hornwort and Willow Moss looking like Christmas tree in March.

To worry or not to worry?

That is the question... but I know I'll worry. Lots of $$ in this tank already.

So, any advice for this newbie?

All anwsers appreciated!

Almost all plants melt. ALMOST lol it's from the extreme difference in water conditions. Even if you had bought the plants locally and had them in your tank in 30 minutes. They melt.

Thanks everyone. I've taken Darkseid's advice and adjusted the timer for the lights... and I will try to be patient. Hard to do when I have this image of a green and beautiful tank in my mind, you know? It's halfway what I want... except for those brown bits.

New to this 'plant' thing, so I haven't yet experienced the 'melt'. I'm hoping they'll bounce back after a few days of steady temp and light.

(And yes Doh! API LEAF Zone, not PLANT Zone. Been using it for months weekly in my goldfish tank for java ferns. Don't know why I forgot the name.)

Thank you everyone!

Back
Top Bottom