Plants and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty280

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 20 gallon fancy guppy tank. The tank has been cycled. I want to add live plants that would be good for protecting young fry. I need a plant with mod to low light requirements. Any ideas?

Dusty280 said:
I am starting a 20 gallon fancy guppy tank. The tank has been cycled. I want to add live plants that would be good for protecting young fry. I need a plant with mod to low light requirements. Any ideas?

Hornwort, pennywort and anacharis are all good choices.

Another good one would be guppy grass Najas guadalupensis would be good too and doesn't require any special lighting and Bruinsbro1997 has a great list too!

Java moss. I have it in all my freshwater tanks and one of my bettas burrows himself deep inside it and sleeps.

Quick fact that isen't needed but oh well :). Fish actually sleep but since they dont have eyelids like most creatures they look dead. There version of sleep is lying motionless for about 1 to 2 hours. This is what my betta does only he wakes up every 15 minutes to take a breath.

Best Plant for Guppies

Hello Dusty...

Back in the "dark ages" and I'm talking about the late 1950s and early 60s the plant of choice for Guppy tanks was Water Sprite also called Water fern and Indian fern.

The "water keepers" of that day didn't have anything fancy and would judge the condition of the water by the condition of the Sprite. If the Sprite thrived, then the water conditions were right and the Guppies thrived too.

I have several large tanks of Fancy Guppies, probably a 1,000 individuals or more (how would one tell anyway) and have floated Water Sprite in all my tanks. The fry survival rate in my tanks is quite high, maybe because of the Sprite.

Get the Sprite in the tank and you'll have a lot of Guppies.

B

Back
Top Bottom