Plants are not growing (please help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My some of my plants are not growing (please help)

I have been waiting for them to grow but… :cry: here are the tank params

Tank = 72 gal
Running for how long = 2.5 months
Temp: 78~80
pH: 6.6~6.8
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10ppm
PO = 1~1.5 ppm
KH = 7
GH = 5
Low bio load
DIY CO2 with powered diffuser
Adding ferts KN03, KH2PO4, Flourish and Flourish Execl

Lighting 65*4 watts of PC (3.6 watts/gal) for 9 hr/day
I have normal gravel ….

Plants

Not growing (stagnant)
Vallisneria tortifolia "Corkscrew"
Sagittaria subulata "needle leaf"
Saggitaria Subulata (Narrow Leaf)
Saggitaria Dwarf (subulata, dwarf)

Growing well (1 leave ever week) (I think)
Microsorium pteropus "Java Fern"
Anubias Nana
Echinodorus Barthi "Broadleaf amazon"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Red"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green"
Cryptocoryne Lutea
Moneywart

Might over take the tank if left alone

Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
Ceratopteris thalictroides “Watersprite”
EGERIA DENSA “Anacharis”

Sorry guys…. for such a long post..

Any help is was appreciated..

I never had much luck with Vallisneria tortifolia until I put it in Eco-complete. Even in Flourite it wouldn't spread.

Saggitaria sp. should all be growing like mad in that tank though. Moneywort too...it should be growing a couple inches per week. The other 'growing well' are slow growers.

Might try some root tabs around the sag. and vals. Plain gravel in a fairly new tank with low bio-load will have a nutrient deficient substrate. Even with flourite, I use root tabs selectively under some plants.

Thax..

i am worrried that if add tabs, and the gravel is distrubed the root tabs will foul up the water and i will end up with Green Water.. :?

Everything looks good to me. Could your taller plants be shading your lower plants? Is this a tall tank? Lower plants might still be not getting enough light even with 3.6 wpg. Do you have driftwood that might be staining the water? That could reduce light also. If you are using regular aquarium gravel, you might try adding root tabs around your problem plants.

Kamla: I've been shoving Seachem's root tabs into gravel and fluorite substrates... no danger of foul/green/cloudy water. The Seachem tabs are very solid and don't fall apart... shove 'em in and forget about em.
This post reminds me I have to place some extra tabs under my Twisted Vals and other stem plants as they could do a little better.

Thax guys..
i will add roots tabs and see if it make a diffrence..

will keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom