plants wont stay put

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyBoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is there a way to weigh the java fern down? I have a Rena Filstar XP3 Filter in a 29 Gal tal tank so the current is stronger then i anticipated and the java fern likes to relocate... im not sure what i can do to keep them in place without damaging the roots... th eonly other filter I have is a power filter which ive heard isnt the right choice for planted aquariums because it disturbes the top water..

there are also times when my other cuttings become disloged but I think its because the java fern bumps into em..

thankyou

RoyBoy said:
is there a way to weigh the java fern down? I have a Rena Filstar XP3 Filter in a 29 Gal tal tank so the current is stronger then i anticipated and the java fern likes to relocate... im not sure what i can do to keep them in place without damaging the roots... th eonly other filter I have is a power filter which ive heard isnt the right choice for planted aquariums because it disturbes the top water..

there are also times when my other cuttings become disloged but I think its because the java fern bumps into em..

thankyou

I attached my java ferns on pieces of driftwood and rocks using cotton thread or super glue.

If you use a cotton thread, by the time it deteriorates the roots of your java fern will already be attached to whatever you put it on. I haven't tried smooth rocks though.

you could also make a custom output line for your filter with some PVC pipe. i used a 1/2inch threaded T and a 1/2 threaded barb fitting and it reduces the current a lot.

Back
Top Bottom