Pot plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all, I'm looking for something I can try in planted pots in the aquarium (I don't want to redo the entire aquarium substrate which is fine gravel). Any recommendations? I think I have seen laterite or Eco complete at the lfs. I do have yo yo loaches that like to dig a little and decent filter flow if that helps.

Oh sorry I'm stupid. Just noticed the title *facepalm*.
Ecocomplete is good. The substrate you want really depends on what plants you are going to get. I use flourite and it is amazing. Floramax is good as well.

Potted Plants

Hi all, I'm looking for something I can try in planted pots in the aquarium (I don't want to redo the entire aquarium substrate which is fine gravel). Any recommendations? I think I have seen laterite or Eco complete at the lfs. I do have yo yo loaches that like to dig a little and decent filter flow if that helps.

Hello Del...

I keep potted plants in some of my tanks. Makes it easy to remove them or to move them around. I even stack the pots so the plants that need stronger light can have it. I use smaller, plastic pots with holes in the bottom. I put an inch or so pea-sized gravel on the bottom, put in the plant, then a couple of inches of organic potting soil. If you want, add a root tab and always top with more gravel. It's best to ease the pots into the tank during a water change when the water level is lower. The potting mixture can be a bit messy if you're not careful. The potting mixture and the tab feed the plant for several months. By then, the plant roots are established and I use a good liquid plant fert.

Pretty simple.

B

Oh sorry I'm stupid. Just noticed the title *facepalm*.
Ecocomplete is good. The substrate you want really depends on what plants you are going to get. I use flourite and it is amazing. Floramax is good as well.

Thanks for this. I'm not sure on plant types - I never thought of this, just assumed any old plant and any old substrate lol. What is the difference? Do heavy root feeders need better substrate? So far I have seen API laterite at the lfs's.

http://shop.coburgaquarium.com.au/aquaria/api-pure-laterite-567g.html

I have medium lighting now I think. Currently have milfoil (sorry don't know proper name). Thinking of some sort of bush centrepiece plant in a few pots.

Hello Del...

I keep potted plants in some of my tanks. Makes it easy to remove them or to move them around. I even stack the pots so the plants that need stronger light can have it. I use smaller, plastic pots with holes in the bottom. I put an inch or so pea-sized gravel on the bottom, put in the plant, then a couple of inches of organic potting soil. If you want, add a root tab and always top with more gravel. It's best to ease the pots into the tank during a water change when the water level is lower. The potting mixture can be a bit messy if you're not careful. The potting mixture and the tab feed the plant for several months. By then, the plant roots are established and I use a good liquid plant fert.

Pretty simple.

B

That sounds brilliant with the potting mix. It's all bit of trying new things (and hopefully better success). How much gravel do you put on the potting mix and any sort of potting mix? Pretty sure we have some general garden mix in the shed.

Also do you find the roots grow through the holes? I was also just thinking of garden pots and debating if I should drill more holes in the base of the pot for roots to grow out (probably dreaming of running before walking here)..

Thanks for this. I'm not sure on plant types - I never thought of this, just assumed any old plant and any old substrate lol. What is the difference? Do heavy root feeders need better substrate? So far I have seen API laterite at the lfs's.

http://shop.coburgaquarium.com.au/aquaria/api-pure-laterite-567g.html

I have medium lighting now I think. Currently have milfoil (sorry don't know proper name). Thinking of some sort of bush centrepiece plant in a few pots.

If you want easy to keep plants like java fern and such you don't need to spend so much on substrate and just need normal aquarium sand and perhaps a root tab. But for more advanced/heavy root feeder plants, nutrient rich substrate is always good to get them to thrive. Swords and crypts are examples of heavy root feeders.

If you want easy to keep plants like java fern and such you don't need to spend so much on substrate and just need normal aquarium sand and perhaps a root tab. But for more advanced/heavy root feeder plants, nutrient rich substrate is always good to get them to thrive. Swords and crypts are examples of heavy root feeders.

Java Ferns, Anubias and Mosses don't need ANY substrate. You can tie or glue Ferns or Anubias to rock or wood or decor. Mosses can be attached as needed. Moss Balls just need a roll and a cleaning here n there.

I have Crypts growing in gravel, most are in sand. I do add a root tab every 4 months or so. I just bury it deep.

Thanks all for the information. I do have some wood and will also hunt for some of those plants tonight. I'm really keen to try some pots so I might be able to set it up so the pots are hidden by the wood. In a rare burst of fish-keeping, the family have said my plants are letting the side down and need fixing :) I looked at silk plants and decided I just don't like them (maybe they look better in water).

One problem I do have is I get a very small amount of green algae on the glass but get what looks like beard algae on the plants. It's not too severe but hoping to get plants that resist that while I get my lighting, ferts and liquid CO2 in balance?

Java Ferns, Anubias and Mosses don't need ANY substrate. You can tie or glue Ferns or Anubias to rock or wood or decor. Mosses can be attached as needed. Moss Balls just need a roll and a cleaning here n there.

I have Crypts growing in gravel, most are in sand. I do add a root tab every 4 months or so. I just bury it deep.

Yes, people who chose the tie them to rocks, dw, etc don't necessary need substrate but some others plant rhizonmous plants into the substrate instead of planting them. They usually do fine in both conditions as long as the substrate isn't too compact.

Thanks all for the information. I do have some wood and will also hunt for some of those plants tonight. I'm really keen to try some pots so I might be able to set it up so the pots are hidden by the wood. In a rare burst of fish-keeping, the family have said my plants are letting the side down and need fixing :) I looked at silk plants and decided I just don't like them (maybe they look better in water).

One problem I do have is I get a very small amount of green algae on the glass but get what looks like beard algae on the plants. It's not too severe but hoping to get plants that resist that while I get my lighting, ferts and liquid CO2 in balance?

Anubias' leaves are extremely sensitive and any algae on the leaves will kill the leaves. So until you have the algae problem sorted out I would not get anubias yet.

Hi, thanks for this - it's mainly algae growing on the plants that is causing grief. Lights at 8 and half hours - I'll drop back and see. About 7 to 8 seems to work but I have some better lights to try. The lights aren't quite ideal but they penetrate better - does that mean with higher light I should reduce hours more?

The plants haven't really been growing and it seems like eventually the plants give up. The algae just creeps along but does a little better lol (sigh).

Now lighting is at about medium lighting (but on the lower end I suspect). Dose liquid carbon once a day and seachem flourish once a week for micro ferts (half dose).

I had a floating plant that used to need trimming once a week so I know they can grow in the tank. The floating plant still had algae issues on older leaves though.

Should I keep dosing carbon and ferts the same and cut back on lighting and see what happens? I kind of wonder if the carbon and ferts do anything. The fish get fed once a day and 35% pwc each week.

Try cutting back to 7 hours and feeding less. Algae loves excess food and nutrients so make sure most or all the food your feeding is eaten by the fish/shrimp/snails, etc.

Ok, I'll cut back the hours and see what happens. It's tricky to feed less, the pellets, etc are gone in a few minutes and if I forget to feed, the plants get a going over. I do reckon once a fortnight I over feed the flakes so will be more careful measuring.

The fox tail went into the pots and up the back. So far so good. I tested them in a bucket first so not too much mess and also did 50% pwc today. Putting them in was easier with the water level lower :) I shifted two milfoil plants and noticed good root systems so hopefully the rest are bedding in as well. I can see fine shoots coming off some.

One other thought is my kh in tank has been quite low at 2 (ph. 7.3 ) and in the last few weeks I've gotten it a bit better at 4. Is this ok for plants? Tap water is 5

Not an expert of kh so can't help you there a lot. Plants sound like they are doing good though! Hopefully the cut back hours will be enough.

An update - the foxtail in the pots is going amazing. Growing at least a cm a day I'd say. I've cut some off to try in gravel and will see how it goes. Thinking of getting some more little pots to do the other side of the tank.

The milfoil is going so so. I bought some water sprite to spread the load from the fish but it seems to have been demolished before it could get going. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom