Question about ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isu712

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a newly assembled planted tank. I've only had the plants in there for a couple of days, but I have a question about ferts. How do people tell how much potassium is in their tank? I haven't been able to find a test kit. Should I just assume there is none in there? I'm going to start dosing with Seachem's Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Comprehensive. I'm assuming I'll need Potassium but I want to know if there's some way to tell if I need it or not. Here's my tank specs so you can become more familiar:

Volume: 20 gal high
Light: 2x24 watt T5HO
CO2: Store-bought DIY yeast system

If you need anything more let me know.

Potassium is necessary and fairly hard to overdose. Minimum K levels in a heavily planted tank should be around 2 ppm with 20 ppm being the upper limit. There are no affordable and reliable K tests out there so I simply dose about 15 ppm (in ~4 ppm increments dosed every other day) each week. If I notice any pinhole damage in older leaves or thin/transparent leaves, I increase the dosage. It has worked quite well for me.

Thanks travis, that's exactly what I needed. The leaves on some of the plants seem like they are becoming kind of "transparent." It sounds like I need to add K. I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom