Question about solenoid/regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurotik

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally got a pressurized CO2 setup for my 55 gallon planted tank, and I set it all up yesterday and it was running fine all day. I have a solenoid hooked up to my regulator and set on the same timer as my lights are so that it shuts off when they do. Everything shut off last night with no problems, but then this afternoon while I was at work, my girlfriend texted me to tell me that she did not see any bubbles going through my bubble counter even though the lights and everything had came on for the day. I came home and sure enough, no CO2 was going through my bubble counter or into my tank. I cycled the power on the solenoid and it started working again fine after that.

My question is what would have caused it to not open back up properly the first time this morning when my lights came on?

i had a problem with my regulator closing up on my. i had to open it all the way up and use my needle valve to adjust bubble rate.

Could be just cuz it's new and needs a few cycles to "wear" in.
If it keeps sticking after a week, you'd probably want to take it back from whence you bought it for exchange.

If it sticks open, don't go into a frenzy. If your bubble count is good having the co2 on all night won't hurt, there's a lot of folks out there that don't bother shutting it off at night.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried if it was stuck open the entire time, but it sticking closed is a problem because I'm already at work by the time my lights and CO2 come on in the morning so I end up losing half a day's worth of CO2 (or more) by the time I get home and discover it never opened up.

I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend while I'm off work to see if it happens again or not. One more question, what would be a good bubble rate to start out with for my 55 gallon tank? I'll be monitoring my pH closely, I just want a good starting number so I can adjust from there.

it just happens. you can take it apart and clean it just in case if it keeps doing that.

Forgot to update this thread, but after that first night of it turning off and not turning back on, I have not had any further issues with it. It goes off at night and comes on in the morning perfectly fine with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom