Question on Blacking Out Tank w/Pressurized CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have BGA in my 29 gallon planted tank, wasn't sure at first but the smell made me very suspicious and then I could see little pieces here and there, which confirmed. I've been doing water changes and stopped adding ferts for the time being. I believe it happened due to my increase of KNO3, last time I tested, it was at 40!

I do not want to add Marcyn if possible and may try doing a 3-4 day black out, now would I disconnect the pressurized CO2 while tank is in a black out or should I leave it going?

I am going on vacation for a week beginning next Saturday and if I don't do this before I leave, I will most likely come back to a tank smothered in Cyano. Have I mentioned how much I hate this stuff? Even though it's not really too bad YET, it's destroyed a couple of my plants, with stem completing melting turing black and melting away.

Thoughts on the CO2 being left on or turned off are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Linda

I liked this answer so I will post it again. Turn off your CO2, add an airstone or lower your water level to keep O2 levels up. I would cover in black plastic and then put a heavy comforter over the tank to insure no light gets through.

Thanks Rich, I've already added an airstone, my Aqua Clear filter is a 70 which is big for a 29 gallon I like it a lot, however; it doesn't give a lot of water movement. I will take a little of the water out, as I'm going to do another 50% water change this afternoon and then cover it with a trash bag and a light comforter.

If my calculations are correct, I would remove it on Thursday. It's always something with my tanks, I sure hope that someday all the problems I've been having come to a halt so I can enjoy my tanks for a while.

Thanks again!
Linda

Back
Top Bottom