Black fibers on plant leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saiwong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I've noticed for one type of plant in my aquarium that black fibers or roots seem to be growing out from the edges of leaves. I did initially look at YouTube videos on black algae but it does not look like that. Also these black fibers only affect 1 plant and all other plant are NOT showing any signs of these fibers and my aquarium is heavily planted. Does anyone know what these fibers are and if it is just normal for this plant?

Here is an image. The plant with black fibers is in the bottom right. As you can see other plants in the aquarium are NOT affected and do not have any black fibers on them. Just want to know if black fibers are just normal for this plant.

tNme3oq.jpg

It has black filamentous algae growing on it.

Java Fern is a slow growing plant and if kept in bright light, can develop algae problems. Excessive plant fertiliser can also encourage algae problems.

If you move the plant to a more shaded section of the tank, it might help, but you also need to check the amount of plant fertiliser you use (assuming you use any). If you can't do that, reduce the lighting time by an hour a day and see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Some shrimp will pick at the algae but most fish won't touch it.

Thanks for the reply. I could relocate the plants to my quarantine tank since I was planning to get some Mollies in the New Year and they eat this type of algae.

A question: Why has the algae only affected one type of plant and not others?

no idea why the Java fern is affected and the others aren't. Possibly due to the different lighting requirements of the plants in the tank (Java Fern needing less light than the others). If the Java Fern is new, it might have been infected and the rest of the plants could develop it in a few months time.

I investigated filamentous algae but could only find pictures of the algae with green colouration. The algae I have is a grey colour. Is there a variety in grey ? Also if I place the plant in the shade could the algae just die off on its own?

Can you remove the affected Java and wash it under running tap water? I’ve done this to algae infested plants in the past.

Last edited:
It’s referred to on the hobby as hair algae. Those leaves are dying and the algae is taking advantage.

The high tech plant keepers (those with high light and carbon dioxide injection) say it is due to the plant not having enough co2. Reducing the light will also reduce the amount of co2 the plant requires so may alleviate the problem.

Sometimes the plant’s are just adjusting to your new water and die off is inevitable. In this case you should only ever focus on the health of the new growth.

A very interesting algae suddenly appeared once in my 90 G cichlid/catfish tank. No one in any forum or group could ID it, so I sent pics to a university researcher who specialized in algae. He said it was a filamentous type & most don’t have specific names. He told me the eye like bubbles were oxygen. Looked like the little buggers were mad dogging me. I wiped them down for a few days and they disappeared, never to be seen again. Nothing new had been added to that tank. They occupied perhaps 8 sq inches. Spontaneous generation!

Attachments

• F45F4D8F-6BCE-40A2-B574-38B1371DC557.jpg
    F45F4D8F-6BCE-40A2-B574-38B1371DC557.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
They were indeed a lovely shade of green and water currents from the sump below made their filaments wave, like long hair blowing in the wind. And those big eyes!
:eggface:

I found a reply from one of the university professors I queried on identifying this algae. He’s what he said:

Dear (redacted), as best as I can guess, they look like tufts of some macro-algae, a filamentous type. They could also be colonial blue-green algae, which often forms tufts or clumps. I expect that if you introduce snails into your tank, they can keep them at bay. Sorry I don’t have much experience with fresh-water algae….the ‘eyes’ look to me to be bubbles, which they would form when photosynthesizing….it’s just oxygen. But it is odd how they just showed up and have grown so quickly!

Good luck with your investigation!

Best Wishes, (redacted)

I take most things with a 5 gallon bucket of salt.

Thanks for the link.

Thinking of getting Mollies to eat the algae. All websites seem to mention only Black mollies, but do you know if any other colourisation of Molly will be fine as well for eating algae?

I had a Dalmatian spotted one once. Google & you’ll see what I mean. She was very pretty. My friend had a yellow one. I have a feeling they are not very affective for controlling algae in a tank, but I could be mistaken. Probably the experienced people here like Aiken, Andy & Colin T, etc,would know.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting Mollies to eat the algae. All websites seem to mention only Black mollies, but do you know if any other colourisation of Molly will be fine as well for eating algae?

Most common livebearers like plant matter in their diet. The two main species of molly sold in pet shops are Poecilia sphenops and Poecilia velifera. The P. sphenops is smaller and more common. The P. velifera is commonly refered to as a sailfin molly and can reach 6 inches in length. These are not that commonly found in shops nowadays.

Both species of molly come in a variety of colours ranging from black, white, gold, green (not really green), marble, dalmation and a few more colours. For the most part they are the same and all eat algae. They don't necessarily eat black filamentous or black beard algae but some do.

Mollies need water with a GH above 250ppm and a pH above 7.0 otherwise they don't do well.

I visited my local fish store today taking a leaf of the plant that had the algae.
The fish store person said he believes it was black beard algae.

He showed me a bottle of Interpet Anti Hair Algae
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpet-Algae-Aquarium-Water-Treatments/dp/B01DVKPWLM/

and also showed me what fish would eat the algae. We finally went with Flying fox & the bottle of Interpet Anti Hair Algae (as a 2nd option if the fish don't keep the algae to managable levels)

One thing guaranteed in this hobby. Go to a fish store with a problem and they will sell you something rather than advising on how to deal with the issue.

Back
Top Bottom