Questions about planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm still in the planning/research stage of the new 65 gal soon to come. It will be a rainbowfish tank with my shark. The frog will either stay in the 20 or go to my 5. Anyways my questions about planted tanks are:
1. Doing gravel vacs, how to do them without disturbing/killing the plants.
2. Can I add plants from day 1 of the new aquarium?
3. Should I use the filter media from my current tank to help the cycle or would it be better for the plants to "start from scratch"?
4.If I were to have 2 watts per gal as suggested (with a canister filter) will I need an air pump and "bubble stone" to help add oxygen to the water?
5. Are there any plants that I should stay away from because of my fish?
6. I know this is somewhat opinion based, but what would the ideal substrate set-up be, seeing as how I will be starting from scratch on this tank, there are NO limitations. ( I prefer the look of the lighter gravel for the more "natural" look. Thanks in advance!

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1) All you need to do is vacuum gently around the base of your plants. Do not dig into the substrate as this will damage roots. Also your plants will take up the nutrients that work down into the substrate.

2)Yes. Although you may need to fertilize with either plant tabs and/or liquid fertilizers. I use the Seachem line of ferts. Here is a link to some:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/search/...49&manufacturer=Seachem&keywords1=&method=all

3)Use your current media. That will help the new tank to cycle although you still may experience a minicycle.

4)No. Plants will add some o2 to the tank. Just have your outake nozzle at the surface to add a little agitation.

5) None that I am aware of. I have a shark and he leaves my plants alone and I dont think rainbows are plant eaters.

6) I've heard good things about Flourite and Eco-complete. I use plain old coarse sand in one tank and gravel in the other with no problems. It just depends on your preference and how much you want to spend.

Hope that helps

Steve

How about a secondary question to the substrate. Since I like the look of a certain substrate I heve heard of layering the substrate. I don't think the layering way is too good cause any tank maintenance and the layers will be adjusted. So my question is can I mix say flourite with reg. gravel (1-3mm of course)? Thanks for the info penpitt. cleared some things up. I'm really nervous about going planted cause it'll be new to me but I always love the look of planted tanks for sure.

I have heard that some people layer it but over time it will mix with maintanance and replanting,redecorating etc. Someone else may be able to better help you with that. I couldnt justify the expense to buy flourite or eco-complete. Plus my plants seem to do fine with what I have although I will be switching the gravel in my 80 to the same sand I have in my 46.

I used flourite with regular dark gravel over the top for my first planted tank. Although the plants did well, the red flourite did eventually get mixed in with the gravel due to replacing and replanting plants. My flourite still makes a muddy mess if it is disturbed also. I guess I didn't rinse it well enought at the beginning. Anyway, I don't recommend that route to anyone. I would recommend a single composition substrate like Eco-complete even a fine gravel or coarse sand.

Back
Top Bottom