Questions Before Tank Set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of setting up a 20gal long from scratch, i'll talk you through it so far...

1. Aquired dirty, old, neglected 20 gal long tank that had sat in a greenhouse for years.

2. Cleaned the tank up, checked for leaks and gave it a general tidy.

3. Tank was used to house a Ryukin who was being pecked at by other goldies in the biorb which he also outgrew.

4. Ryukin was taken back to the store to make way for my project. (He seem's very happy btw :))

5. Came to the conclusion that i would like to attempt a heavily planted tank.

6. Bought Fluval 205, Eco Complete, 100W Fluval heater and started thinking about lighting and fish.

7. Ordered sliding glass cover set and 96W Satelite light fixture.

Now i have reached the point where i can't do much more.
The luminaire will arrive in 7-10 days providing it doesn't sit at customs for too long.
The filter used in the tank with the ryukin is running in my established tank to build up a good bacteria colony before i put it in the new tank.

So what can i do now?
I need a background first of all but then after that is there anything else i can do? There is no point in filling the tank and putting the filter's in as i have no light, I intend to buy some wisteria, hygro polysperma and various other plants that will steal any nutrients needed for algae growth.

I need to become more patient! It is a good quality to have in fishkeeping!

TIA

Great idea putting your new filter on the established tank. If you can leave it there 2 weeks you will have little to no cycle on the new tank.

I'd put the eco in the new tank and go ahead and at least half fill it with water. That will give the substrate a little time to settle.

I did forget to say that the eco is in and there is about 3 inches of water in there. :D
It say's that there are live bacteria in the eco so i thought i'd better submerge them to keep them alive?!

I do have some questions aswell actually...
The tank is overfiltered and the power that the filter throws out will create a good amount of surface aggitation and circulation (i hear that this is not good for CO2?)
I need to put the inlet and output tubes on the sides of the tank as apposed to the back because i wouldn't be able to grow any plants infront of the powerhead, also there would be an area which would be far too powerful for any fish and they would get blasted up against the front of the tank.
So how do i go about concealing the inlet and output? and is there any best method when trying to conceal things?
Plants will hopefully cover the heater & CO2 diffuser.

you could ask lost of questions, read alot and research the fish and plants...

are you going to dose the tank with ferts? if so what ferts and how much?
Satsumas said:
I do have some questions aswell actually...
The tank is overfiltered and the power that the filter throws out will create a good amount of surface aggitation and circulation (i hear that this is not good for CO2?)
just keep the water level up enough so there is no splash

:D

Yeah reading up and research seems like the only thing i can do at the moment, and because i'm not 100% on any fish besides cories then it seems a good thing to do! :lol:

I am keen on dosing ferts, I have a liking to the Tropica range but is there any in particular that i should look at from any brand? What are the best ferts to use?

Yes i will be adding some DIY CO2, I'd like a smaller diffuser if possible as the one in my established tank look's a bit ugly and is clearly visible! I cut the end of a 550ml coke bottle (i think it's 550, well it's the smallest coke bottle, used in vending machines)

Oh yes... I will replace the actinic bulb with a daylight bulb, being a newbie on more powerful lighting is there any bulb that's 'better' than others?

Satsumas! Thank you for creating this topic, I just got a 20gal Long and I'm in about the exact same situation as you. Aside from having eco and a light fixture, I have plans for my tank not unlike yours. I would fill my tank for the time being to get bacteria going/settle the subrtrate but I'm planning on putting silica sand ontop of some fluorite, and I've not the fluorite.

Quick Q for any: Fluorite or Eco Complete?

Quick Q for any: Fluorite or Eco Complete?
I vote Eco. You don't rinse it, while the Fluorite you must rinse over and over because it will make the tank really cloudy. Also I personally like black better than brown/red. :)

Satsumas said:
I did forget to say that the eco is in and there is about 3 inches of water in there. :D
It say's that there are live bacteria in the eco so i thought i'd better submerge them to keep them alive?!

The bacteria need more then just water to stay alive. they need food and O2. Every product that 'claims' to have live bacteria in it has been debunked for the most part with the exception of bio-spira which is kept refrigerated until you add it to your aquarium. So I do not see how Eco-complete can claim that is has "benefical" bacteria present. Does it smell like NH3?

Also you really don't need to worry too much about cycling your tank. With enough stem plants and some substrate from your other tank you are all set.

For your CO2, you'll probably want a pair of 2Liter bottles on that size tank. That should give you sufficient production to get your CO2 levels where you need them, and by having two you can alternate when you switch the mixes to achieve steadier CO2 levels.

Thanks for the replies guys. :D

@rkilling1: I did think that the whole bacteria thing may be another selling point, how would it stay alive in the bag? what if it was on a shelf for 6 months? Also if there is any live bacteria then I don't suppose i'd miss it too much if it did die, seeded material from my established tank would make up for it surely?

@Purrbox: My brother has the same thing (with two bottles) I only have the one on my established tank, it is a 5 litre (i think) but when I make up another mix there is no CO2 in the tank! I'll copy the bottle A and bottle B method of his. :D

I think this would be a good time to think about placement of everything...
The Filter will go underneath the tank, clearly visible but it's not unnatractive and it also gives me easy access.
I am most concerned about the CO2 and the filter inlet and output's.
I'd like to conceal the CO2 tubing and diffuser's but also the powerhead and intake parts of the filter. Firstly where is the placement of the powerhead most beneficial? A good flow is required but plants would break that up anyway surely?

I am trying to be patient and get everything right and now seem's like an ideal time to do so... I expect there to be some things i will wish i had done before filling but i will no doubt learn from them like i have done with some things from my other tank. :)

Update: The background is on, the glass cover is here and fits this time! (I had to send back the other one)

Should I fill the tank and set up my new filter with the old one that's running in my established tank? I will have to keep feeding the bacteria if i do which is the annoying part. Or would it be best to get the filter going a couple of days before i recieve the luminaire so it's not long before i put the plants in?
Also would i get algae growth? Sunlight would be a problem as the tank is opposite a window.

I can make some CO2 bottles aswell! That gives me something else to do! :)

Back
Top Bottom