Quick Lighting Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey I was looking at my lights today. Well one of my lights is a 25watt just a screw in one, i dont know if it's daylight or not but would that work since its a higher wattage.

Then besides that the bulb I was going to replace my "Heat lamp" Actually has a 15watt super uv daylight bulb. So should that be good enough for a low light setup or do i still need to replace it?

heloooo

the 25 watt screw in one needs to be daylight, and a compact flouresent. normal white light bulbs that you would find in you avarage light socket are around 3500k which doesnt do much. it must be daylight. i read that heat lamps are actually bad for plants, it raises the temp and plants dont like that!

this is what you want!

compact-fluorescent.jpg

you NEED DAY LIGHT!

"soft white" or "bright white" will not work

they should say something like 100 watt equivalent but is only 23 watts. and for the sake of growing plants, 23 watts means 23 watts, so ignore wat it is equivalent to.

You'll want to find bulbs in the 5000K to 10000K range. If you look up the bulb specs you should be able to find out what you have, it may even say on the bulbs.

heloooo

the 25 watt screw in one needs to be daylight, and a compact flouresent. normal white light bulbs that you would find in you avarage light socket are around 3500k which doesnt do much. it must be daylight. i read that heat lamps are actually bad for plants, it raises the temp and plants dont like that!

this is what you want!

compact-fluorescent.jpg

you NEED DAY LIGHT!

they should say something like 100 watt equivalent but is only 23 watts. and for the sake of growing plants, 23 watts means 23 watts, so ignore wat it is equivalent to.

You'll want to find bulbs in the 5000K to 10000K range. If you look up the bulb specs you should be able to find out what you have, it may even say on the bulbs.

Ok guys I looked up my bulb on the internet for my one fixture (not the screw in one) And it say Its color-enhancing, natural daylight simulation is also excellent for plant growth in natural vivariums. Which includes aquariums. It is a Super UV Daylight bulb. It's not really a heat lamp. And it's is 15 watt. So it should work for my low light setup. But if it doesn't I will then go out and buy a new bulb.

ok well the bulb sounds perfect,

does it look like these kinds
284497_front200.jpg

if so then youve got urself a good bulb! just remember to change it every year

normal white light bulbs that you would find in you avarage light socket are around 3500k which doesnt do much. it must be daylight.
you NEED DAY LIGHT!

they sure look better but i have grown plants with just the reg soft white bulbs. 2700k. i just tossed them in since i had them. i did upgrade but it was a couple weeks until i got them.

Back
Top Bottom