Quick question on planting crypts....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 2 types of crypts from another member, and was wondering what the best way to plant them is. They are the Parva and Beckettii. My question is is it ok to trim off the roots prior to planting, or should I leave them intact? They are very long and making it difficult to plant, as the Eco in my 29G isn't quite as deep as it is in my 75G, and when I bury the roots at the plant, then try to bury the roots towards the end, it uproots the plant. Then when I try to plant the plant end, the end pops out of the substrate.

I also got some HC. Boy, let me tell you, if you want HC, be prepared and dedicated to planting, lol. I just planted some, and am floating some. Will see how it goes.....

It's ok to shorten those long roots on the crypts, cut off about half, they will be ok. Plant the HC with tweezers, push it under the substrate and the lift it out a bit. The more you spread it the quicker you'll get a nice carpet. Good Luck! :)

When Crypts are happy, they send runners under the substrate that pop up close to the parent plant, somtimes farthur away. My Parva is poping up everywhere at the moment, sometimes where I don't want it! When the runners get big enough, break them off and plant them where you want them. You can separate bigger crypts by carefully breaking the parent plant apart with your fingers into smaller plants for re-planting. Keep the rizhome slightly above the substrate or you can suffocate the plant. Push the plant into the substrate, then wiggle it out so the rizhome is not completely buried. It will spread faster this way as well. HTH :)

C parva will send runners up to 6" away from the main grouping. Given some time this stuff will forn a thick lawn...everywhere

Yeah, my crypts are all starting to have baby crypts pop up next to them. At that rate of creep it'll be years to cover teh bottom but they are great looking bushes :)

Back
Top Bottom