Ready to make a switch: TANK FERTILIZER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, as is often the case, since the beginning I've been using what was originally suggested to me back when I got involved in the hobby, at a pet store I went to. I've never veered away from using Seachem's Flourish / Excel series of products, but lately, I've been wondering if there's something better out there (which is also often the case).

I don't want to "jump ship" just for the sake of change, however, I will say that the 2 big influencing factors in my decision to look for something better are:

1 - As with everything, continuous improvement is a big deal, especially when it comes to life or living organisms. I'm sure a lot of the people here (or all, probably) feel the same way as I do that fish should be cared for, and part of that care is the environment they spent their lives in (the tank)

2 - The Seachem line is just confusing. I found a chart online (I'll attach it here to this point) and it shows the massive tiered and overlapping structure they use, which is for me since I'm not a genius, impossible to follow.

As with many others, I have a busy lifestyle and work schedule, and while I DEFINITELY stay consistent to water changes, quality checks, and love only giving my aquatics pals and plants the very best... at some point, we all have to find that "line" where simplicity meets effectiveness, and call it a day. I don't want to earn a master's degree is fertilizers, but if there's something out there that can be pumped or poured in every few days that WORKS and won't kill my shrimp...I'M IN!

Here's are some of the shortlist contenders I've found to try out...if anyone has other votes for or against, let me know.

1 - Fluval's Gro+ (Fluval's tanks are amazing, not sure here though)
2 - NA's Thrive all in one (expensive, but great reviews)
3 - Aquarium Co-ops Easy-Green all in one (Cory's line)
4 - API's Lead Zone & CO2 Booster combo (seems like a good 1-2 punch)

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR: One (or 2 max) products that take care of ALL the necessary needs of aquascaping growth, health, and root integrity...without harming the invertebrates.

PS: My tanks are mostly marimo balls, amazon swords, java moss, anubias... pretty standard stuff.:fish1:

Attachments

• Fourish.jpg
    Fourish.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 319
Just in case - I’m not sure how the glut in api CO2 booster will do with shrimp. Are you doing anything like that already? I read mixed reviews on if people had issues or not. I’ve never tried it with shrimp, with snails I thought it caused a slow decline in numbers.

Just in case - I’m not sure how the glut in api CO2 booster will do with shrimp. Are you doing anything like that already? I read mixed reviews on if people had issues or not. I’ve never tried it with shrimp, with snails I thought it caused a slow decline in numbers.

Hi, thanks and great question. No, I haven't tried anything new or experimented with products outside of the strict Seachem combo and standard water conditioning as needed. I installed an R.O. water system last year, full 5-stage, and it's seemed to help out big time.

I'll totally eliminate the API combo as a solution, and leave it at the others based on your insight!

Any other thoughts?

I'd like to follow this thread. I hope more people chime in..

I like thrive. I don’t add CO2 in any form either.

I'm 100% going with either Thrive or Easy from Aq Co-Op...

PS: I just bought 2 new aquariums for species specific set ups over the weekend, let the fun begin!

I just picked up some thrive to switch from seachem as well. I too found it confusing to know what I was dosing. I'm using the last oif my seachem up now so I'm curious how the thrive will do in comparison...

I just picked up some thrive to switch from seachem as well. I too found it confusing to know what I was dosing. I'm using the last oif my seachem up now so I'm curious how the thrive will do in comparison...

Hey Skai, please let me/us all know how it works out over coming weeks!

PS: I'd buy Thrive today if it weren't for (1) the cost, and (2) Cory's new product for less over at Aquarium Co-Op. I've watched his YouTube's so much, I feel like he wouldn't put out a low-quality product, so it's a hard choice.

Hey Skai, please let me/us all know how it works out over coming weeks!

PS: I'd buy Thrive today if it weren't for (1) the cost, and (2) Cory's new product for less over at Aquarium Co-Op. I've watched his YouTube's so much, I feel like he wouldn't put out a low-quality product, so it's a hard choice.

Yeah, I was considering Cory's formula too. But I'd been given the thrive root capsules so I figured I'd stick to the same line to sort of judge it as a whole. Some products work exponentially better with others in the same line, after all.

Yeah, I was considering Cory's formula too. But I'd been given the thrive root capsules so I figured I'd stick to the same line to sort of judge it as a whole. Some products work exponentially better with others in the same line, after all.

Would you please let us know your results and thoughts overall as you use the Thrive? :)

So, I've started using thrive this week now that I've finished off the seachem. So I've got a couple first impressions for yall. Mostly related to dosing methods.

I like the pump bottle method sooooo much more than pouring. It's quick and easy to remember. 1 pump per 10 gallons. I have 125 gallon so I just give the extra single pump to make 13 because I don't imagine that small of an 'overdose' is really any sort of a deal. Although, I will say that after the first dosing the pumping got a touch messy. It sprays a bit off to the sides but knowing this I just make sure I angle the bottle to have as little mess as possible. It might just be some old solution dried inside the pump and I need to wipe it out or before putting it away, I'm going to try it to see. The spray from the pump is also pretty powerful so you really want to aim towards the middle of the tank to not splash anything out of the tank itself.

The solution doesn't leave as much of a dark area in the tank after you add it like seachem can, I'm guessing because it's premixed. Also because it's added a pump at a time it might mix easier? But I like that it doesn't leave as much of a water discoloration or as long of one.

Plants haven't reacted too much to the change but I've just started so I'll update again in maybe another few weeks.

Thanks a lot for the update! I guess I should offer my own:

My order of Thrive (for shrimp) is arriving today-or-tomorrow from Amazon, which I'm pumped about for all of my aquariums. I have shrimp or invertebrates/crustaceans in each of my aquariums, so this one product will replace 100 Seachem products lol.

IS THERE A WAY TO "FIX" THE ISSUE WITH MY LEAF that JUST started for the first time in ANY of my tanks, shown on the image I'm uploading??

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom