Red Tiger Lotus and Ludwigia repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few questions concerning Red Tiger Lotus and Ludwigia repens. I've read that Red Tiger Lotus can be invasive to a tank and its roots can "strangle" the roots of nearby plants. Also, I've read that it can cause trouble for nearby plants since it extracts a large amount of nutrients from the water, which would starve those plants. Is all of this true? Here is where I found this information: How to Plant Red Tiger Lotus (Nyphaea zenkeri) in an Aquarium
I really like the look of this plant, so hopefully I can put one in my medium light tank (T5 HO lighting). Concerning the Ludwigia repens, is it easy to take care of? What are its needs? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have a mini version of the same lily. I have it on the far right of my tank, mostly isolated from the rest of my plants. In a week it has already grown three new stems and leaves, leaves are already nearly half the size of the ones it had when I got it. Definitely the most aggressive growing plant in my tank. Even when I only had a 25w 6500K CFL tube over my 24" deep tank. And has only accelerated as I've added lighting and additional nutrients to my repertoire.

I actually just picked up a (light red) ludwigia repens yesterday. Apparently it is a high light, high difficulty plant. I'll have more than enough lighting when my Buildmyled.com fixture is finished (in the next day or so), but from what I've read, it will definitely need consistent liquid or pressurized CO2 dosing, extra Flourish, and whatever other macros you can get your hands on (Iron, Potassium, Phosphate).

I actually have a question about the lotus too if anyone can answer are you suppose to plant the bulb in the substrate or let it sit?

Pretty sure you could plant the entire thing under the substrate, leaves and all, and it would still make its way vertically. Just get the root end fastened into the substrate and it'll be fine.

I have a mini version of the same lily. I have it on the far right of my tank, mostly isolated from the rest of my plants. In a week it has already grown three new stems and leaves, leaves are already nearly half the size of the ones it had when I got it. Definitely the most aggressive growing plant in my tank. Even when I only had a 25w 6500K CFL tube over my 24" deep tank. And has only accelerated as I've added lighting and additional nutrients to my repertoire.

I actually just picked up a (light red) ludwigia repens yesterday. Apparently it is a high light, high difficulty plant. I'll have more than enough lighting when my Buildmyled.com fixture is finished (in the next day or so), but from what I've read, it will definitely need consistent liquid or pressurized CO2 dosing, extra Flourish, and whatever other macros you can get your hands on (Iron, Potassium, Phosphate).

I don't think I'll get any Ludwigia repens. Instead, I'll get some Rotala "Indica" and Brown Cryptocoryne Wendtii. I'm still stuck between a rock and a hard place on the Red Tiger Lotus.

How so? Re: Lotus (lily)

I just added the rotala indica to my tank yesterday. Leaves at the top turn a reddish color and matches the lily on the right side of my tank. Looks hardy. Probably needs root tabs and your typical Flourish dosing. Low-medium lighting.

The cryptocoryne will be super easy.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How so? Re: Lotus (lily)

I just added the rotala indica to my tank yesterday. Leaves at the top turn a reddish color and matches the lily on the right side of my tank. Looks hardy. Probably needs root tabs and your typical Flourish dosing. Low-medium lighting.

The cryptocoryne will be super easy.

For the Red Tiger Lotus, I was wondering if it would starve other plants of nutrients and "strangle" the roots of nearby plants. I was planning on putting it by some Cryptocoryne undulata 'red' or a Red Rubin Sword.

Re: rotala indica
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+1631+1618&pcatid=1618

Says it needs decent lighting, but it was thriving easily in a fairly low lit tank in the store I got it from.

Sounds good. I've read online that it isn't that hard to take care of.

Ludwiga reapens is by far the fastest growing plant in my 55 gallon. It a good and easy stem plant. I would highly recommend it. My tank is on the higher end of medium light with co2 and dry ferts but it grew well when it used to be lowlight as well. It will stay green in lowlight though and turn red in mid to highlight.

Ludwiga reapens is by far the fastest growing plant in my 55 gallon. It a good and easy stem plant. I would highly recommend it. My tank is on the higher end of medium light with co2 and dry ferts but it grew well when it used to be lowlight as well. It will stay green in lowlight though and turn red in mid to highlight.

+1. It's a very easy plant to grow in low tech. Grown in high tech, a reddish hue developed nicely.

Back
Top Bottom