Reviving Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Here Fishy Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I am starting my first planted tank. I have built a CO2 system and I am using flourish. I know I am having some lighting issues but I have a new light on the way (should be here tomorrow). So in the last few weeks of poor lighting some of my plants have begun to get brown spots on the leaves. Some only have a few spots and some more than others. Can these plants be saved? Will just adding adequate lighting save them or is it too late?:puppydogeyes:

Are the leaves turning brown or is it diatoms (brown algae) on the leaves? If it's just diatoms, wipe them off. If the leaves are just starting to turn brown, you can definitely save the plants if you're getting your light tomorrow. I've resurrected plants from tiny little stems by letting them float in a tank with good light.

With good lighting and flourish I've been able to save a fair variety of plants that looked like they were on death's doorstep; Anacharis, Hornwort, Hygro, Wisteria and Watersprite. The Anacharis and Watersprite in particular were bad looking - turning all dark green and brown, but after one or two days in good light with ferts they're nice and bright again, and putting off plenty of new growth. Although as soon as the Anacharis was healthy again my fish tore off all the leaves for food.

If only fish were so easy to save :)

Back
Top Bottom