screw in CP for 150?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jman17H

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a 150 breeder tank that I am going to heavily plant and I am trying to determine the best method for lighting. I have a 48" 260 watt aqualight and 2-24" 65 watt aqualights that I am going to use but I was thinking of adding either a 2-strip of regular flouresent or creating a line of maybe 8-10 screw-in CPs. Does anyone have experience using the CP's above such a big tank and will they penetrate the water enough to make a difference. I will either use a mirror or mettalic tape on the top of the hood to get the most of the light. The tank is 20" tall.

I can't say that I've used screw-in CF bulbs before but I do know that they are not nearly as efficient as strip-type CF lights because of their coiled design. Hopefully some of our members here who have used screw-in CF bulbs will be able to comment more on their usefulness.

pretty much useless for that size of tank in my opinion. they dont penetrate very well an generate to much heat. you are much better off buying a cheap strip light. another downside to these bulbs is the k rating. sometimes its tricky to find the 6500 k and even when u do they are a very yellow colour and not very appealing. if u want to go heavily planted i would look into a source of light that is going to penetrate the tank better. maybe some HO T-5?

Yeah, less work and better results so along with my aqualights I am going to use a 24" dual strip light and a 48" dual strip light. That saves me for hours of work to create a strip of scrw-in CP's anyways. It is now mostly setup with my CO2 regualtor in the mall and some more lighting to add.

Also, most screw in cf lamps are not rated for inverted operation. Even the ones that are have a much shorter life span when installed in that orientation. The heat accumulates in the base where the ballast is and cooks it a little faster.

What do you mean by inverted? Which way would the screw-in portion be pointing?

If by inverted you mean horizontal with the screw-in part facing towards a wall? If so I guess I may need to rethink how I just replaced my bathroom lights with CP's?

I mean with the base up. I had to purchase a couple hundred of these for work and when I was ordering I had to specify the orientation in which they were to be installed. Base down, base up, or horizontal. Each one gave a different life span.

Base down was the longest life, Horiz. was the next longest, and base up was the shortest.

So I should cut that 9 yr lifespan from the box in half for all the bulbs I have in fixtures coming straight down from the ceiling. I guess that is still better that regular bulbs and saves electricity thus makes my dent in environmentalism.

Back
Top Bottom