seachem flourish use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am expecting some java fren in a few days. I was thinking of using seachem flourish tabs in my subtrate (river sand). just want to see if any one uses this stuff and it its any good.

Thanks guys

javav fern in a 60gl, 15watt light, 82f. discus/ram/tetra

root tabs will do little for a java fern. with such low light, I think java fern will have a hard time growing, much less requiring fert supplimentation

I got them cause many people told me they require low light. I just don't want them to die. I got the m cause I hate fake plastic plants..

What kind of fertilizer should I use. Liquid or substrate?

I'm not saying they won't live, but a 15 watt light over a 60 gallon tank is just not much light at all. I wouldn't use any ferts. The growth will be so little that you really won't have to worry about any nutrient imbalance at all

discusdude said:
I am expecting some java fren in a few days. I was thinking of using seachem flourish tabs in my subtrate (river sand). just want to see if any one uses this stuff and it its any good.

Thanks guys

javav fern in a 60gl, 15watt light, 82f. discus/ram/tetra

What's the kelvin rating on your bulb? 15w is pretty low for a 60g so consider adding a spare/extra fixture next to the one mentioned. I did this, just had to move one off glass topper lid to feed/clean before I got into plants and made a major upgrade to my lights.

Root tabs won't help Java Fern since the root part should be attached to a piece of DW/? and not buried in sand from what I've read.

Well I really can't afford a new light. If I could trust me I would. The light I have came with the tank. maybe I can find one. What is a good wattage? I don't want them to grow like crazy just enough to keep them happy and alive.

Also I have seen many tanks with the fern planted in sand. I also have drift I plan on adding small ferns to... So we'll see. Good thing I got a deal and they where fairly cheap.

they can be planted in the sand, just don't plant the rhizomes, just the roots, because they populate thru the rhizomes...

and what kind of light do u have? bulb or strip?

if it is a bulb, you can buy 2 "daylight" compact flourescent light bulb that has 6500k in walmart for like $8.00 in their light section...you could at least have 2x25W=50W...much better than 15W, IMHO.

I have 2 18" fluorescent in the hood. I wanted to put better bulbs in , but will the fixture it self have enough power?

daileene said:
they can be planted in the sand, just don't plant the rhizomes, just the roots, because they populate thru the rhizomes...

+1 on light suggestion

Good to know daileene, I always thought they were one in the same (never gonna remember rhizomes lol) and that the baby ferns grow off the tips of the leaves of the parent plant. Guess I'm thinking of a different plant :p.

discusdude said:
I have 2 18" fluorescent in the hood. I wanted to put better bulbs in , but will the fixture it self have enough power?

At 2 x 15w, your at .5w per gallon so that's a little better, but do you know what the "K" rating is on the bulb (ie 5000K, 6700K, etc.), it should say somewhere on the bulbs label.

The power is low, but I've done it at that level with limited success for a short time (couple months) but i was using a 17w/6700K bulb that made a big difference over the kit bulbs.

LOL....it's okay mr. limpet...the anubias have rhizomes too...so they can also be in the subtrate but same scenario with the roots and rhizomes...

and yes, some baby ferns will grow in the parent ferns' leaves....

hmmm...2 18" FL....that is a tube then....I know some of the folks here will recommend the t5HO fixture...but I think your fixture will do...I don't know where you can find cheap bulbs with good wattage and kelvin around though.

so i found some bulbs that will fit my fixture. they are "daylight" and says they are 8000k. will that do for my ferns? like i said before i am just using them for tank decor.. they dont need to grow super big and win any contest.

discusdude said:
I jut looked at the bulb. All it says is "all-glass aquarium 15watt aquarium bulb"

According to this link, they're 8000K, so you're right in where you need to be spectrum wise IMO. Watts will be a issue, but a new fixture with higher watts would cure that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YJ45XU/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

I'd give it a try and see what happens and if they look like they're not doing well put them in a clear plastic tub and put them by a sunny window. That's what I do with my extra plants and they're growing pretty good for being stacked like cord wood :).

thats the bulb i have now. i just looked at the link. so im not going to worry about the light.. thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom