Sealing DIY CO2 kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black udder

Aquarium Advice Activist
What sort of sealant do folks use to seal the tubing into the bottlecap?

I'd hate to use something that would be toxic or detrimental to my setup.

I used superglue. Silicone did not hold.

Regular aquarium silicone.

Some here swear by using none at all, just drill the right size hole and force the tubing in.

Just drill the hole smaller than you need, cut the tubing at an angle so it will go through the hole a little use a pliers and pull it through. When you need to "reseal" just pull some more through and cut off exess. Make sure you leave the seal in the cap though. Also use distilled water it will last a lot longer.

I drill the hole slightly smaller, attach all tubing and airline, then use fun-tack (that yellow or blue re-usable poster adhesive) around the top of the cap where the rigid tubes are inserted. (that's for my gas separator, but would work on the main CO2 generator bottle too)

I followed the DIY plan that included plastic bulkheads for "easy" swap-outs. Unfortunately, the tubing doesn't fit over very tightly, so CO2 is leaking out of the connection... *sigh*

Thanks for the quick replies...

Pressurized CO2 is looking better every day :)

Try small zip tie (works for me with other aquarium plumbing). FYI with secure bond, holding cap and twisting bottle (per shawmutt's howto iirc) is still very easy. :)

Back
Top Bottom