Serious Problem!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdawson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got algae bloom BAD, I need help getting rid of it, I'm supplementing my plants now with kent freshwater and plant supplements, as well as tropica master grow. My tank is a 45g with 7 neons, 5 blue tetras, 5 red eye tetras, 5 rasboras, 1 farlowella, 1 SA puffer, 8 corys, 1 pleco that's soon to be removed. I've got anubias (on driftwood), java moss, amazon swords, 1 pygmy sword, a long thin plant that looks kind of like hornwort and grows like mad, actual hornwort, hygros, a modified java fern(can't remember real name), and two other plants I don't know much about. One is tall and red and the other is short and kind of looks like a smaller anubias. Water parameters are ph 6.5-7.0 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia
and a hagen CO2 generator (I know it's not enough to feed all these plants and I'm going to get another one). I've also got 120watts on the tank with a flourite substrate. I turn my bubbler on at night and feed once a day. So far no one has been able to help me so I'm including all my info in one message so that someone can narrow it down to what's causing the problem.

stop the plant supplements for now! it may be feeding the algae in addition to our plants. cut down the length of time your lights are on also. you can also try Algaefix of Algone, NOT Algae Destroyer since it harms live plants. do you know what kind of algae it is? different algae have different solutions...

you should check the algae info page in the forum and try to narrow it down...let us know what happens!

but how can I fix this problem all together so that I can add supplements. I thought that algae only used nitrate and phosphate whereas none of my supplements have those in them. also how long will this take to go away. I don't know what kind of algae it is, it's green and it's making my water really cloudy.

I got rid of it through using plant supplements that didn't have nitrates or phosphates. I put it all in yesterday and woke today to find almost no algae compared to yesterday. I could barely see the back of the tank and now I can almost see right through it.

Back
Top Bottom