Setting up a new 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll be setting up a new 40 gallon fresh water from a failed salt water system.

I have several quick questions. . . .

I have cleaned the huge wet/dry filter system with soap and water and rinsed it quite well, and let it dry out for a week. I really wanted to use the soap as I wanted to get all of the saltwater bacteria out of there. Was the soap a mistake.

I have read great things about Bio-Spira, so I got 3 oz yesterday and put it in the fridge (I have not yet set up the new tank). My question here is, do I add the 40 gallons of water, then add the right amt of bio spira and then just let it sit overnight with the filter running? How long is too long to wait before adding fish? Can they be added right away the next day? Can they be added a week later?

What temperature range should I shoot for for a fresh water tank. My salt water tank was around 82 most of the time.

Thanks for the help - my main concern is the temperature and the bio-spira. I want to make sure I add the stuff at the right time so it is not wasted. $$$$$$$$$ stuff! :)

Thanks so much,
Todd

You ass the fish when you put the biospira in, if you leave it to long without fish the bacteria won't have amonia to eat and will die.

amd of your going tropical fish, between 26c and 28c are good temps

Thanks William (and Happy Birthday!! Hope the day gets better for ya!) :)

So, two more quick questions to clarify . . .

I will add lets say 6 fish (african cichild) to the 40 gallon tank that has been treated with "Tap Water Conditioner" and then add the bio-spira right after they go in?

Also, how long should I wait after initially putting in the treated tap water before I add the fish? Is it right to assume that I won't have to cycle the tank since I am adding bio-spira?

Just want to make sure I don't screw this up . . .

Thanks,
Todd

Urgh. Soap. I strongly suggest you rinse the filter out more despite having it sit for a week; soap can be deadly to fish. And I'm assuming you have dumped all the filter media; if not, go do that now.

As for the Bio-Spira, it should be added (ass William? LOL) with the fish. Its meant to deal with rising levels of ammonia. If there is no ammonia (ie: no fish waste), the bacteria will starve and die, defeating the purpose. I suggest you plan out what fish you want, and purchase them all once you have the tank all set up, then add them with the Bio-Spira. Make sure to check and see all your choices are compatible (ask us if you're not sure :) )

And yeah. My tanks (angelfish, plecs, clown loaches, gouramis, cardinals, otos and some shrimp) sit around 81-82f.

Thanks for the help, Allivymar. I will give the sump and all filter hardware another good rinsing before I set it up. And, yep, I pitched all of the filter media except the bio-balls which were cleaned viggerously with the garden hose.

So, I add the bio-spira with the fish - excellent! How long should I wait after the tank has been set up before adding in hte fish and the bio-spira? And how many fish is too much for the first stocking of a 40 gallon (no live plants)>

Thanks!
Todd

Setup the tank with dechlorinated water and basically wait until the water is up to the correct temp and go ahead if you are using biospira. The only reason to wait longer is if you have water that changes pH when it sits around for awhile. Some people have a high pH tapwater that will slowly acidify over a couple of days sitting in a tank or bucket. If that is the case then you would want to wait for everything to be stable. But otherwise fill it one day with decorations and water and the next day with fish.

It depends on the type of fish and what size they get to on how many you can add. A 40 gallon is a long tank so that is good in that they have plenty of swimming room. But it also depends on how aggressive the fish are. A breeding pair would take the whole tank by themselves as they would attack all the other fish. A tank that size could only hold 1 oscar, though it really needs a 75 gallon tank. So figure out what type of fish you want and let us know.

Back
Top Bottom