Shoplights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was researching lighting for a future 55 gallon planted tank. I came across an article that appeared rather old, but it suggested due to the dimensions of the tank that the use of shoplights can be a cost effective way to get over the high prices of aquarium special lighting. I'm thinking I would like low-med plants. Can anybody expand on this and give some advice?

Not really sure if it's "elaborating," so much, but I bought a plain waterproof standard screw-in socket, soldered a wall cord to it, popped a compact-fluorescent in it, and zip-tied it into the canopy/lighting bar of my Fluval Edge. I can post a picture if you need a visual, but the concept is there. It's a really common mod for my particular tank because it's so difficult to get decent lighting in it, you have to be creative. It does what it's supposed to do.
Hope I helped a little? :lol:

an $8 shop light from walmart with a couple daylight bulbs in it will give you enough light, IME, for low light plants on a 55g. The reflectors on them suck, and it leaks a lot of light out the sides and back, which makes it low light. If you could point the light down better, you would most likely be able to keep some medium light plants.

There are shop lights with halfway decent reflectors at a slightly higher price point. I've got a pair over my workbench in the garage. I believe they're American Fluorescent Titanium shop lights. I think I paid about $35 at Menards for a light and a pair of 40W T8 daylight bulbs when the fixture was on sale.

Ok sounds great. Thanks for the advice. I might be lookin toward these rather than the expensive lights as a starter.

Take a look at postings for salt water forums in your area. You'll find some pretty cheap used lights. Just make sure you change the bulbs out.

Ok, I'll look around, unfortunately I'm in a fairly small area in northern wisconsin that doesn't have a lot of aquarium, let alone, salt water traffic. Any suggestions where to start looking for something like that?

I use 2 T8 shoplights over my 80 gal & it is fine for medium.

Definitely don't go for the cheapest .... you want:
1. An electronic ballast - these are totally sealed & won't rust & die in a wet environment, plus there is no fluorescent hum., and much lighter.
2. Get one with a good reflector so the light is directed downwards.

I would get Daylight T8's as that is the most cost effective in terms of light output vs. watts & $$.

I took the shoplights apart & mounted the reflectors & lights in the canopy, and wired the ballasts outside. <There is a limited length of wire you can use to wire a ballast to the holder .... I use the same wires that came with the shoplight, just moved things so the ballasts & all wire connections are outside of the canopy. <No water & electricity mix ...> All wire junctions (including the 110V in to ballast) are done inside a plastic (outdoor) junction box.

In theory - you are supposed to replace the endcaps (tube holders) with waterproofed ones. I left the original ones on, and they have been fine for over 5 years. If they start to rust, I would replace them with waterproofed ones as needed.

Also, the power compacts are coming down in price ... they are almost cost competitive with shop-lights if you get a retrofit kit. Although the bulbs are still ~4x more.

Eg:
36 or 55 watt Bright Kits
At $45 per 55W PC (~= 80W shoplight). (or $70 for 2)

Back
Top Bottom