Shrimps dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samispeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys new to planted tanks..

Iv recently posted a thread about having new tank syndrome. Where my nitrites were sky high and my ammonia levels were also very high.
I had cherry shrimp (5) in at the time and a few neon tetras. They all survived the high toxic levels
I then did lots of water changes and the levels are now 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites so all is good.

I decided to add 2 amano shrimp into the tank and the next day I found a dead cherry shrimp.
One by one everyday I found another dead cherry shrimp... I thought it was the amano shrimp doing this.
Well today I found that the amano shrimps dead.. Both of them upside down and no legs moving. Literally propper dead!
Wondering what can be going wrong.
Iv had a pressurised co2 system in at 2/3 bps in my 12 gallon tank.
I was doing 2 water changes a week.. Maybe 3 just to keep my nitrite and ammonia levels down but this last week I was only doing 1 water change a week taking out approx. 20% each time.
Iv switched over to 'ro' water which is like completely neutral according to all LFS's around my area.
So yeah guys... Just wondering what's going on..
My tanks heavily planted with hc riccia bacopa myrophyllem java moss etc..
Wondering is it the co2 killing my shrimp or the nitrATES which is the end product.
Please help guys
Sorry about the spelling I'm a noob!

Try adding full tank stats.

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Temp

This would be a good starting point.

When I first added shrimp in my tank I freaked when I thought some were dead and it turns out to be moulted exoskeletons.

I have 6 Amano's that once first introduced where never visible.

Jon

Hi guys new to planted tanks..

Iv recently posted a thread about having new tank syndrome. Where my nitrites were sky high and my ammonia levels were also very high.
I had cherry shrimp (5) in at the time and a few neon tetras. They all survived the high toxic levels
I then did lots of water changes and the levels are now 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites so all is good.

I decided to add 2 amano shrimp into the tank and the next day I found a dead cherry shrimp.
One by one everyday I found another dead cherry shrimp... I thought it was the amano shrimp doing this.
Well today I found that the amano shrimps dead.. Both of them upside down and no legs moving. Literally propper dead!
Wondering what can be going wrong.
Iv had a pressurised co2 system in at 2/3 bps in my 12 gallon tank.
I was doing 2 water changes a week.. Maybe 3 just to keep my nitrite and ammonia levels down but this last week I was only doing 1 water change a week taking out approx. 20% each time.
Iv switched over to 'ro' water which is like completely neutral according to all LFS's around my area.
So yeah guys... Just wondering what's going on..
My tanks heavily planted with hc riccia bacopa myrophyllem java moss etc..
Wondering is it the co2 killing my shrimp or the nitrATES which is the end product.
Please help guys
Sorry about the spelling I'm a noob!
As said in the previous post, post your water parameters.

Did you switch to a full RO water? Full RO is probable close to a neutral pH of 7, but most important, the RO water is pure, meaning is lack of minerals.
Minerals are needed by the fish, and I assuming by the shrimp, to properly live ... So maybe the change to full RO water killed your shrimp. This is just a theory

High spikes don't always kill straight away, so this is what could have killed RCS. The Amano is strange, I've found them pretty hardy - I agree with the RO comment, if your putting straight RO in with no buffers that might be enough to shock the Amano but I can't see it doing it so quickly. There must be something out of whack with your levels. If you can put your water test results up and your acclimatisation process we might be able to help better.

Right the parameters are... No ammonia no nitrites.
I haven't got a nitrate tester..
My co2 indicator is green.

I switched to RO with minerals it was only 50p more. So why not!
My tank temp is a constant 26.5 degrees
Ph.. Last time I checked was fine. I think it was 8.. But I'm sure it's closer to 7 now iv switched to RO.

My 2 ottos are fine.
And my 8 neon tetras are fine. I did feed then frozen blood worms the other day.. Before all the shrimp started dying... Could it be this?!..

You think I was overdoing it with the co2?
Do u think I need a bubbler on at night perhaps?

When you say 2/3 bps, do you mean 2-3 bubbles per second or 2 bubbles per 3 seconds?

With a pressurized system, you should just be shutting the co2 off at night, negating the need for a bubbler. If your drop checker is showing green, than you can probably rule that out. Were the fish showing any signs of distress?

aqua_chem said:
When you say 2/3 bps, do you mean 2-3 bubbles per second or 2 bubbles per 3 seconds?

With a pressurized system, you should just be shutting the co2 off at night, negating the need for a bubbler. If your drop checker is showing green, than you can probably rule that out. Were the fish showing any signs of distress?

No signs of distress. They look very healthy and feed well.
2 or 3 bubbles per second.
I turn it off at night. All I can think is, nitrate spike? I will have to invest in a tester and post results.

Nitrates don't really spike like ammonia or nitrite though, and when they do, they're not as toxic. Unless you had been neglecting waterchanges prior to the incident, I highly doubt that. 2-3 bps seems like a who lot of co2 to be going into a 12g tank. How are you diffusing it?

aqua_chem said:
Nitrates don't really spike like ammonia or nitrite though, and when they do, they're not as toxic. Unless you had been neglecting waterchanges prior to the incident, I highly doubt that. 2-3 bps seems like a who lot of co2 to be going into a 12g tank. How are you diffusing it?

Mini diffuser that came with the tank, iv lowered it down to 1 bubble per 2 sec. Iv found one shrimp that survived! And he looks healthy! :)
I really don't know what's happened. Iv explained this situation to my LFS and they said to bring a water test in and they will do every single test as they are confused also. Will post all findings. :)

It's likely related to the tank being new. I've had issues putting shrimp in a cycling tank.

One other concern is the ph swings with co2 in relation to ammonia toxicity. Things might be all well and good while its on but if its turned off or aerated out at night that same ammonia level could easily leap to toxic.

Just some thoughts.

jetajockey said:
It's likely related to the tank being new. I've had issues putting shrimp in a cycling tank.

One other concern is the ph swings with co2 in relation to ammonia toxicity. Things might be all well and good while its on but if its turned off or aerated out at night that same ammonia level could easily leap to toxic.

Just some thoughts.

Okay so what do you suggest?..
I turn it off at night already...

jetajockey said:
Just test daily and stay on top of water quality.

What all is in the tank again?

I don't understand what all is in tank again??

jetajockey said:
Just test daily and stay on top of water quality.

What all is in the tank again?

I have 8 neon tetras, 2 ottos and 2 siamese algae eating fish. They all seem to be doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom